Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6 Line Wrasse

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kmtfishchannel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmtfishchannel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6 Line Wrasse
    Posted: February 02 2017 at 5:30pm
What is your opinion on 6 Line Wrasses? I have a 60 gallon cube 2ftx2ft with a fair amount of hiding places. I just recently got one and it's been picking on the other fish in the tank. Over the days it has calmed down some. Is this normal for 6 Line Wrasses? I've had it for almost a week now.

Edited by kmtfishchannel - February 02 2017 at 5:30pm
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2017 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by kmtfishchannel kmtfishchannel wrote:

What is your opinion on 6 Line Wrasses? I have a 60 gallon cube 2ftx2ft with a fair amount of hiding places. I just recently got one and it's been picking on the other fish in the tank. Over the days it has calmed down some. Is this normal for 6 Line Wrasses? I've had it for almost a week now.

Normal behavior they can be mean fish. I got lucky with mine he never bothered any other fish but their reputation is normally that they are a bully fish
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2017 at 7:03am
I've read they are jerks but I've never met anyone who had one that was bad. I have three, in separate tanks, and they are calm and do their own thing.
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2017 at 10:16am
Aggression between fish is 75% about the availability of the food they need. If there is plenty of live food growing in the tank, a Wrasse will rarely bother any other fish. Unfortunately, this concept is completely misunderstood by many hobbyists. When adding a new fish, you should ask yourself, "What does this fish eat in the wild and does my tank supply some of that?" Most hobbyists keep their tank too clean and manicured, so that the natural food the fish would eat just doesn't exist. Overfeeding before and after adding a new fish is a very good method of reducing aggression.

What's the other 25%? Territorial aggression. For this, the fish can be trained to get along. The method is explained in one of the Reefkeeping Tips. Look for the Tip titled "Secrets of adding new fish, fish training and...."

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - February 03 2017 at 10:18am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2017 at 10:26am
I also have a 60g cube and one of my first fish was a six-line wrasse. I've never had one in my previous tanks, but he has been a great inhabitant so far. He just cruises the rock work, and I'm amazed at his ability to sneak into, and out of, the tiniest holes in my rocks. He gets along well with my two clowns and pajama cardinal.
60g LPS Cube
kmtfishchannel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmtfishchannel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2017 at 2:24pm
Mine downs the pellets i feed like they are the best thing it has ever eaten. I have to feed quite a bit just so the other fish get some hahah LOL
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 10:24am
Pellet food is not even close to what foods the fish eats in the wild. Does this tank grow some live foods that the Wrasse can eat? Even if it did have some of those bugs, it doesn't take long for the population to be decimated by a single Wrasse.

I strongly recommend feeding frozen meaty foods that also contain some algae. Algae is in the guts of naturally occurring bugs, which when eaten becomes absorbed by the meat eating fish. Sally's Emerald Entree, Rods Food, Larry's Reef Frenzy, enriched Brine Shrimp, Mysis Shrimp, any of these are the healthiest prepared foods that can be fed to marine ornamental fish. Ample feeding of these good foods can often eliminate most aggressive behaviors.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - February 04 2017 at 10:26am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 8:43am
I have one in my tank. He's being very peaceful for their reputation. He just minds his own business cursing around the tank
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 9:36am
There's a couple threads on R2R where people commented on the fish they regret putting in their tank.  Out of like 500 replies on both threads, most people said 6 line wrasse, 2nd most common fish was the Powder Blue that everyone regretted.  I had a really bad experience with a 6 line in my 120.  It literally made me want to leave the hobby because it killed everything. Luckily it jumped into my overflow :)

Edited by love2skiutah - February 16 2017 at 10:16am
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 9:59am
We have a 6 line that has decided to pick on firefish and our black capped basslet. He doesn't bother anyone else, but he may end up in Adam's tank...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic