Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

60g Cube

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Frank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2017 at 6:07am
Awesome picture with this butterfly, I amazed to see all the picture. Good work. Keep it up.
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2017 at 12:29pm
Well things have been amazingly crazy. I broke over a dozen bones in both my hips and needed major surgery. So that slowed down things in the tank arena. Luckily, my mom is extremely nice and knows a thing or two about tanks, and she took care of basic maintenance while I was down. All in all, they put humpty dumpty back together again somehow....

Then, I decide I feel better enough for a new tank adventure and start a simple biocube thinking about doing a seahorse tank. Unfortunately, it cracked after I started it for only a couple days. All it had in it luckily was water, sand and rock (no livestock).

Wife nearly shut down the hobby after 30 gallons of water began shooting unto my desk and floor, but things worked out well for a disaster and nothing was ruined in my house. 

I am now enjoying just one tank. I've had a few fish deaths and a couple corals died while I was in the hospital, but mostly things have been going well. My current fish list includes a yellow tang, 2 clowns, cleaner wrasse, leopard wrasse, ruby red dragonet, pajama cardinal, banghai cardinal, yellow goby, and a cling fish (so cool). Since my last update, I have lost my fairy wrasse and anthias, both jumped. The butterfly also did not make it more than three days as he developed an eye issue and died shortly thereafter.  

Here are some updated tank shots:

Things are growing well and I'm pretty happy with how things look especially at the top. 

Top down.

Hope you enjoyed. 
60g LPS Cube
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2017 at 3:35am
Looks great. Thanks for the Macro. 
Take good care.
Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2017 at 1:12pm
Thanks Mark, it was nice to see you and show off my tank for a minute :)
60g LPS Cube
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2017 at 11:35pm
Lookin great! 
theresawhite View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theresawhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2017 at 6:09am
Looks good.
We are having Reef Tour on Nov 4 if you are interested in signing up. You'd be agreeing to open your house to fellow fish friends for the day, so they can come out and see your tank in person.
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2017 at 7:28am
Thank you both! I've hosted the tour a couple times in the past, but it has been so long since I've been in the hobby, this year I think I'm going to go see other tanks. I'm planning on possibly hosting next year after my tank has had some more time to mature. Thanks again :)
60g LPS Cube
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2017 at 7:32am
Ouch. That looks incredibly painful.
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2017 at 8:26am
Yes Marcoss, it hurt a tiny bit ;) I got fully back into the hobby in 2017 but then all this other crap happened. So this is a mixed bag of a year.
60g LPS Cube
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2017 at 1:05pm
Quick update. I will be doing the reef tour, so everyone plan on coming over. I'll have treats and be ready to nerd out talking fish all day. I'm excited to share my current tank as I've now accumulated 40 different LPS. 

Also, these will also be the last of my crappy phone camera pic updates. I just ordered a new camera! Hopefully, I can get some better pictures up before the reef tour, so you know what you will get if you choose to stop by. Thanks for looking and enjoy!

This is my view from my work desk and is still my favorite even thought its not technically the front of my tank. Go cubes!

I also realized I've not shared any pics of my sump. Its basic, so nothing fancy, but it should be documented.

Finally, a few of my corals that are doing much better than my last pics. These two acans finally found a spot where my yellow clown goby (aka Hitler) leaves them alone.

Side view of top. Anyone know what the orange mouthed coral is in the middle bottom? I think its a leptastrea, but can't be sure as the LFS told me it was something different. Its encrusting, very fuzzy and seems to be growing extremely fast (again sorry for the poor pic quality).

Scallop and new chalice to the left.

Back of tank which is my euphyllia area. Since the colors are crap, the back one is a bluish purple short tentacle torch, middle is a standard green with purple tips hammer, and front is my new favorite... gold frogspawn!
60g LPS Cube
CoreyGan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoreyGan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2017 at 1:52am
Absolutely stunning setup. I love that blue glow. Seems so soothing to look at.
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2017 at 10:11am
Thanks Corey, this tank is definitely blue because I'm going for coloration over growth (only so much growth can be accommodated in a 60g). My last tank was extremely white/yellow with 8x54w t5 setup, and I was happy with it. I even disliked bluer tanks in the past (pre-LED days), but now I'm changing my opinion. I enjoy watching my corals change colors before my eyes. Every coral (with only a few exceptions) has displayed more vivid and a wider variety of colors once in my tank.
60g LPS Cube
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2017 at 1:05pm
New camera has arrived. I got it yesterday and couldn't resist trying it for a few minutes before lights out (the trick-or-treaters had to be handled by the wife). I did a little bit of editing and realized I have a lot of learning to do, but I like the pictures a lot better than my camera phone mostly because the coloration is much truer to how it looks in person. 

I'm open to all tips/suggestions. I have a D7100 with a 35mm standard and 105mm macro lens. I feel like these are decent images for having the camera for less than a day, but I know I have lots of room for improvement.
60g LPS Cube
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2017 at 7:53pm
Taking pictures is hard work. I'm definitely not in shape enough for all this bending and moving, but I'm loving it. Slowly getting some pics here and there. Here are few I took today.

60g LPS Cube
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2018 at 12:32pm
Well I've had some corals randomly dying. I may have stocked a bit too much too quickly. So I'm increasing water changes and harvesting more chaeto until things even out. However, I did take a couple of cool pics of my leopard wrasse and a battle between my frogspawn and acan. The frog lost big time, and I'm sure this isn't the last time they tango. Enjoy!

60g LPS Cube
WildBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 3:54pm
Beautiful tank. Lots of work. Thanks for sharing.
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2018 at 4:37pm
Thank you Bill :)
60g LPS Cube
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2019 at 7:28am
It has been a while, especially with a FTS update. Here are some recent pics I took with my phone, so again not the best quality. However, my new phone definitely does a better job of color representation than my old phone.

Front

Side

Other Side

Corner

New Hammer

Favorite Acan/Brain (this guy is in high flow and has caused an intense feeding response from him 24/7)

Top Side

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how things have been going. I've had a few corals mysteriously die on me, but most are thriving and my tank is still 95% LPS (I added a couple zoe/palys last month on a whim).

Also, I have several fish. However, they are shy and my rock work encourages hiding when they want to. The tank looks like a fish ghost town but is really not. 

Overall, I just wanted to show how things look over a year from my last posting and it has been a couple years since my last FTS. Enjoy!
60g LPS Cube
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 5:21pm
Here are a few more updates since it has been almost a year. Things are going very well even though I have not done a water change in over a year. I'm becoming even more radical in my habits. No skimmer and no water changes. I simply harvest lots of macro and change out one of 3 big bags of carbon when I think of it.

Here is a front FTS:

Side FTS:

Other side FTS:

2 top down shots:

Looking at my tank from the sides, you might think there is a lot of room for more stuff. However, the top down shots show how little room there is for any more coral. I've had to move or frag several corals lately that were going to war, overshadowing other corals below, or getting buried by my pistol/goby pair. I've come to terms with not being able to have anything on my sandbed.

Hope you enjoyed looking! 
60g LPS Cube
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 4:39pm
Nice update. Looks like algae is under control. Im assuming that you are still dosing Alk, Calc, and Mag right? Do you do anything for trace elements or monitoring parameters. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic