Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AIPTASIA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 9:26pm
I saw one in my tank today. I had about 15 min to get ready for work so rather than dealing with the one "the right way" I pulled the small rock out and threw it in a tank with cold fresh water in it. I know extreem but like I said I only had 15 min and I had to leave for work.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 9:32pm
Berghias are awesome for aptasia. You will want one per about ten gallons they are tiny and if you have any wrasses or fish that like to eat inverts don't get berghias.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 11:53pm
I have had one in my tank for a few months.  He hasnt spread.  Been meaning to deal with it but havent got around to it.  He's in a bad spot.  I second aptasia X it is good stuff.  
Pam&Jake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pam&Jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2011 at 9:18am
I have some Aptasia x that came with this tank we bought, but there is no applicator with it, and when reading the directions, it says inject in into the base....is the applicator a syringe?And don't the things suck back into their rock as soon as you get close? Can someone give me a runthrough on Aptasia X application? LOL

Pam&Jake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pam&Jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2011 at 9:19am
And would you recommend I try the peppermint shrimp method first? I wouldn't mind having some peppies. Smile
Pam&Jake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pam&Jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2011 at 9:22am
Also, for clarification, we had an established tank, this tank was an upgrade in size for us, not a brand new setup. It came with a couple of corals, but all of our fish and water and the majority of our rock, came from our established tank....then we found the aptasia on the new rocks that came with the tank...grrrr.
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2011 at 9:28am
With Aptasia X you do not inject it. 

Instead, without touching the aptasia, drop with a syringe, a glob of Aptasia X onto the Anemone's mouth.  Cover as much of the oral disk as possible.  Rather than immediately shrinking down and disappearing as it would if you had touched it with the syringe it should see the glob as food and try to ingest it.  Wait 10 to 30 seconds and watch the aptasia more orr less implode.

I have also had good luck with Aptasia X ridding my tank of Manjano's and it even seems to work on the dreaded green Proto-palythoa.  (OK, dreaded in my tank.)
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2011 at 10:34am
peppermint shrimp
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2011 at 12:49pm
I have used Aptasia X with good results, but the best eradication has come from the filefish I have. Awesome alien like fish that totally destroyed the aptasia. He eats frozen and prepared foods just fine and doesn't touch my coral.

Aquatic Dreams brought him in for me.
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2011 at 1:13pm
I only have one failed experiences with aptasia. I finaly just closed down the tank, baked the rocks in the sun for a month and put it all back again when I was done and that method worked 100% Big smile.

Now I do/did have a majano problem in my parents 225 that I've managed to get on top of using aptasia X. I ended up buying the 16 oz bottel (there were a lot of majano's) and use a huge syringe with a 1.5 foot tube. I turn all the pumps off, spook all my sensitive coral to pull in (my RBTA's and whatever else might get hurt eating the AptasiaX) and then go on the hunt. I dump a heap on each anemone I can get too and then give it 30 minutes before I turn the pumps back on. I probably had 150 visible a few weeks ago and now there are only a few. When they are on vertical edges or overhangs they are very difficult. If you can follow those directions you should kill a ton but they will likely never be gone for good.

Micah

Edited by Sculpin - November 07 2011 at 1:13pm
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
RandyVB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyVB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2011 at 5:07pm
I have a Filefish if you want to borrow him. I'm in Salt Lake
Yep, that's my money pit......It keeps me broke and entertained.
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2011 at 5:49pm
I forgot  one important note in my last post.  We can thank Sculpin for adding it in his post.  It is always best to shut down the water flow when dosing Aptasia X.  The stuff will stay on the Aptasia better and large globs will not float away and get on other corals that could potentially be hurt by it.  
ch3tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ch3tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2011 at 6:28pm
Live rock and reef has a few file fish if you are looking for one.
Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL
GaryF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2011 at 2:25pm
My friends 30 gallon was covered in aiptasia at one point. He tried the nudibranches, shrimp, filefish (which he said was like $60 dollars), and various other methods. The one thing that worked was a $10 bottle of Aiptasia solution by precision solutions. This stuff dissolves the critters so fast! He has since given me his tank, and I have seen no sign of them, and its been months!
Gary Finnegan
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2011 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Chevmaro Chevmaro wrote:

I have had one in my tank for a few months.  He hasnt spread.  Been meaning to deal with it but havent got around to it.  He's in a bad spot.  I second aptasia X it is good stuff.  

I never inject mine.  Get a syringe and spray it as close to its face as you can. 
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2011 at 11:55am

Of course everyones experiences are different, but when I had some in my tank I tried peppermint shrimp, lemon juice, aiptasia x, kalk paste, and an aiptasia eating filefish all with no luck. Then I bought another batch of peppermint shrimp (3 shrimp in my 125 gal) and the aiptasia were gone in a week. Hit and miss like everyone said, but you might get lucky like me

Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
Pam&Jake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pam&Jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2011 at 12:48pm
Pam&Jake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pam&Jake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2011 at 1:24pm
We used the aiptasia x on the ones we can see, just did a few each day with the pumps off, it really does work. Wow. Thanks so much for all of your help!! :)
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2012 at 8:29pm
I used lemon juice and injected them , I only had a few but i havent seen any since. Oh but I added few peppermint shrimp for the future just in case :)

Christianwaisath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christianwaisath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2012 at 9:16pm
You know what I did that was extremely cost effective on my manojos, ( idk on the spelling)

I pulled the specific rock and squirted a few drops of boiling water in their mouth, I'm sure it would work on your problem..

It totally got rid of my little terrors, just be careful not to use a ton or you will kill your coraline algae ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic