Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blue jaw trigger losing color???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blue jaw trigger losing color???
    Posted: December 29 2016 at 10:54am
During this past few weeks I have noticed that my male blue jaw trigger has lost his yellow fins to more of a brownish color. Also his blue jaw is not as visible. He is active through out the tank, eats fine and doesn't get harass by any other fish from what I have seen. I have read that it's not uncommon for this to happened so I was wondering maybe it's because of the lack of a female? So I want to know if anyone has had any experience with this before and id they have been able to get their color back up?
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 10:58am
Could be changing sex - I have had two females go male, turned yellow.  Going male to female would stink.  Is it eating?
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 11:49am
Yeah he eats like a pig. From what I have been reading is that they change to a female coloration but not sexes. But would adding a female bring his color back up?
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 1:04pm
I had 2 Female Cross Hatches and 1 Male.  1 Female started gaining the coloration of the Male.  No one has ever been able to answer my question if it was actually changing sex or just the coloration.  I've got both answers multiple times.  If you have a link about it, I'd love to read up on Triggers and coloration changes. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic