Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clowns host everything!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clowns host everything!
    Posted: May 01 2014 at 6:45pm
I wanted to share this.  My clowns host almost everything in my tank.  The female mainly sticks to the anemone, and the male joins her, but at night she sleeps in the nem and he usually sleeps in the duncan.  Well, a week or two ago I added a goniopora and now my clowns are hosting it as well!  They are taking ownership of everything!  I'm hoping they will start spawning.  I had a orchid dotty back in there and they seemed to be always battling for territory, but I think during the night my urchin displaced a rock over his spot and it fell on him and killed him.  Now the clowns seem more secure and comfortable in the tank.  It's interesting the clowns were so bothered by the dottyback but don't mind the coral beauty at all. 

The Goniopora doesn't seem to mind the hosting except when the clown really bears in to it, but I have a feeling like my duncan when the clowns first started hosting and was upset, that it will eventually become accustomed to it. 

Just wanted to share because I thought it was awesome.  I'd never heard of a clown hosting a goniopora.   Interestingly, they leave the hammer alone. 

Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 7:04pm
My clowns host to my overflow and also to my Monti plate at times
65g Reef
SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 7:06pm
Overflow? Hard coral? Lol. That's crazy!
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 7:22pm
Yep wiggle around, guard, and sleep in, I think the host where they feel safest, I have a anemone and green star polyp, hammer, frogspawn that they dont touch
65g Reef
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 11:39am
65g Reef
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 12:49pm
My clowns host the open water...nothing else.
justchillinuno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 1:03pm
I used pictures to help my clowns host in their anemones... Both sets of my clowns have their own! 
Orange/White host a RBTA and my Black/White host a Pink Bubble Tip... Love it!
55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 1:33pm
So you put up pictures of clowns in nems? I never heard of that but it makes sense.
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 1:53pm
My Picasso clowns host the inside of my shark's stomach.
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
justchillinuno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 2:03pm
Skyler... Yep.. I printed pics and put them on the areas where they already would hang out in the tank. took about a week but every day i would coax them near the anemone.... once they brush up against it they fall in love.... Love at first touch!!!!
55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 5:57pm
That shark is quite a host. Dead
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic