Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dying fish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 4:25pm
Laird did you notice if he got skinnier? He looks really thin. Was that another one of the symptoms?
Pam

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 4:54pm
Sorry, I was trying to help from my phone at work. I meant to say Brooklynella, not Amyloodinium in my previous post/text. Amyloodinium can be treated with copper, but it's Brooklynella that is treated with formalin (sorry...again.)

Although Brook is normally associated with clownfish, it seems to fit in this case, especially given the "strange white spots" by the tang's head, sudden deaths, lack of appetite/weight loss (I'm assuming from the thinness of the tang), and fin condition.  Couple that with a Psuedomonas gram negative bacteria as a secondary infection...and I think you have your culprit.  

What I'd do is get the tang out of copper and into a QT tank.  Start dropping the salinity and start dosing erythromycin since brook causes the fish to have difficulty with osmoregulation and to be more susceptible to infection.  Then start formalin dips to kill off the brook.      

I have erythromycin and formalin here if you need it.  Good luck!!

Edited by Reef'd Up - February 21 2012 at 4:54pm
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Reef'd Up Reef'd Up wrote:

Sorry, I was trying to help from my phone at work. I meant to say Brooklynella, not Amyloodinium in my previous post/text. Amyloodinium can be treated with copper, but it's Brooklynella that is treated with formalin (sorry...again.)

Although Brook is normally associated with clownfish, it seems to fit in this case, especially given the "strange white spots" by the tang's head, sudden deaths, lack of appetite/weight loss (I'm assuming from the thinness of the tang), and fin condition.  Couple that with a Psuedomonas gram negative bacteria as a secondary infection...and I think you have your culprit.  

What I'd do is get the tang out of copper and into a QT tank.  Start dropping the salinity and start dosing erythromycin since brook causes the fish to have difficulty with osmoregulation and to be more susceptible to infection.  Then start formalin dips to kill off the brook.       

I have erythromycin and formalin here if you need it.  Good luck!!

I too was thinking the same thing with the Brooklynella..it is very difficult to treat from what I have heard. I am so sorry this is happening Laird.
Pam

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 6:43pm
I'm pretty sure its gone beyond saving at this point. Its fins are pretty much history. sad to lose a pet but 3 years is a good run for a powder blue.

I just hope that none of the other fish pick up any symptoms.

All the other fish still look fat and happy and I picked up thera +A to start feeding. Its a anti parasitic pellet that Ryan said works really well.

Thanks for the help and concern.
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by ptronsp ptronsp wrote:

Laird did you notice if he got skinnier? He looks really thin. Was that another one of the symptoms?
Pam

I had been so busy fragging coral every time that I was at the tank for the last week or so that I didnt really notice how skinny it was. It was always a great eater but never grew since I got it and also always stayed pretty thin compared to the other fish.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 6:56pm
I know this sucks, but please don't give up on him.  My purple tang was lying on his side gasping for breath, covered in ich, and had one of the worst cases of HLLE I've ever seen.  He pulled through, and so can yours.

www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2012 at 7:33pm
Thats pretty incredible, i for sure wont after reading that.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Soehl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soehl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2012 at 9:21pm
What happened?  :)
Cory
180 Gallon Mixed Reef
Radion Pro LED
75 Gallon Elite Sump/Refugium
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2012 at 10:03pm
As in did I figure out exactly what was wrong? Or did it die?

I still don't know exactly what it had, and it died a day or two after my last post in here. Every other fish and the tank has been super healthy ever since. No idea what weird thing got that tang.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic