Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First saltwater tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Griffis313 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffis313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First saltwater tank
    Posted: May 29 2016 at 8:44am
Got my first tank moved an up yesterday. Just wanted to thank those that gave me some tips an help. I am estate with how it turned out. So far everything survived!
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2016 at 9:03am
It looks really good, be sure to test your ammonia and nitrates daily over the next 4 to 7 days in case your get a mini cycle. Congrats on the new setup the Rock scape looks good.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffis313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2016 at 9:04am
Thank you, will do. I appreciate the advise you gave me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffis313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2016 at 9:04am
I will post some more pics. In a little
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2016 at 7:47pm

Did this tank, sand and rock come from someone in the WMAS?
Did they help with your understanding of reef tank biology?

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2016 at 7:49pm
Looks like you are off to a good start.  Good luck!  Clap
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2016 at 7:50pm
What LED's are those and how big is the tank? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffis313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2016 at 8:57pm
I'm not sure if they are on wmas. Yes it came pretty stocked. I have a few buddies who are in to reefin so I been picking there brain for about half a year. They are AI prime. Thanks all

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffis313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2016 at 10:21pm
Nitrite=0 ammonia=0 nitrate=2 ph=8.1 alk=3.2 think there all good.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffis313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2016 at 10:57pm
Thanks mark glad to be here. I will take in all the knowledge I can from you guys. Posting some pics in another post hopefully. It's having troubles loading
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 9:31am
Looks really good! Was the alkalinity measured in dKH or meg/L?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 8:10am
I believe it has to be meq/l (3.2 milliequivalent per liter equals 9 dKH and 160 ppm)
I'm thinking the water is new, or mostly new. It would be very odd have a dKH reading that low.

Blayne, 
Have you started reading the Reefkeeping Tips thread linked below? It does not have all the right answers but it's a decent attempt. It's a whole lot of information contributed by many experienced hobbyists since the beginning of this forum in 2002, with backgrounds in reefkeeping spanning back to the 1960's.

Aloha,
Mark
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffis313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 9:06am
The water is 4 months old. An about 10 gl fresh when I moved it. Yes I have been reading a lot of it. Very helpful, some seems to be personal preference as well tho, so people seem to have disagreements on certain topics.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffis313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 9:08am
Can't figure out why it won't let me post pics tho.
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 9:17am
Welcome! You'll find a ton of opinions as you read. You'll also find that a ton of reefers, some very successful, hardly or ever get online. There are certain best practices, like having Alk around 8-12 versus 1-8, that make sense. The most important thing is patience and consistency. If you can only get your Calc to say 410, that is fine, as long as you keep it steady.

One thing that helped me was physically seeing tanks that people had, that were doing well, and picking their brain in person.

Awesome set up the way!

Marcos
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Griffis313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2016 at 11:32am
Awesome thanks Marcos. Don't know many people with sw tanks, hopefully that changes. I have a doser but don't want to start dosing till I get the tank down an figured out, also in case it goes into a mini cycle. If any of you are ever around Layton an want to stop by an give me some advice, would greatly appreciate it. Thanks Blayne
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic