Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Future Speakers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Future Speakers
    Posted: January 20 2006 at 5:11pm

Part of my job with the presidency now is helping to arrange guest speakers.
I just wanted to start this topic where you all can give suggestions of people you would like to have visit our club.....

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 12:03am

Dana Riddle

Robert Toonen

Eric Borneman

Julian Sprung

Tim Hovanec

Randy Holmes-Farley

Adam Blundell

Jake Pehrson

Shane Heil

Shane Silcox

Adam Haycock & Suzy on phyto

I'm sure I could think of others too...

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 12:14am

Mark Peterson - Algae Control

Kevin (Keodog) on building a plywood tank

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 8:44am

Hey Jon, since you are playing along let me change my question to this...

What topics would you like to see presented at a club meeting?

Adam

smatney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smatney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 9:06am

Adam, you speak nationally.  We'd like to hear your speal that you give out in the real world.

I'd like Jon to talk about Chemistry again - you can never learn enough about that.

Mark would be excellent on setting up a tank and the first 30 days.

Bruce sure was a good speaker - find another topic for him.  He researched the first one (water flow) very well.

Hmmm....isnt' amazing the talent we have in the valley?

Susan Matney
Farmington, UT
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 9:23am
Blundell- "What is reef safe?"

Finch- DIY carbon reactor

Smatney- Rare coral expert
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 11:32am
how about another do it yourself night, but show how to do things like build a stand, or hood, how to wire in ballast etc--all that stuff that is nice to know how to do for when you decide to set up the tank--the things that come before the water, have some plans available, some tables where you can do things like bonding or bending small pieces of acrylic etc.

I missed the walt smith presentation, but I think it would be neat to have people who supply the industry talk about items they supply, innovations helpful hints etc.
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
smatney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smatney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 11:33am
Suzy - you are funny.  I am not a master since I only keep about 2/3's alive .
Susan Matney
Farmington, UT
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 11:34am

Originally posted by Crazy Tarzan Crazy Tarzan wrote:

how about another do it yourself night, but show how to do things like build a stand, or hood, how to wire in ballast etc--all that stuff that is nice to know how to do for when you decide to set up the tank--the things that come before the water, have some plans available, some tables where you can do things like bonding or bending small pieces of acrylic etc.

Have you read the homepage?  Please click on "Home" to the left.

Adam

Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 11:43am
that'll teach me to go straight to the forum rather than the homepage
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 11:40pm
Does anyone know if Jeff Kurtz speaks?  He might have some good topics if he does.  He's mostly a fish guy if I remember right.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2006 at 9:36am

Originally posted by Will Spencer Will Spencer wrote:

Does anyone know if Jeff Kurtz speaks?  He might have some good topics if he does.  He's mostly a fish guy if I remember right.

The Salt Creep huh?  I'll bet we could get him, and you're the first person to ever suggest him.  Hmmm, I'm going to think about that.

Adam

rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2006 at 12:47pm

I would like another presentation on Sea Horses!  Do you think we can get that SH expert?  I cannot remember her name, something like Suzy Applegarth?  I am pretty sure that is her name!

David Nellans could present on phyto.

I would like to see a presentation on the uses of a Neptune or similar device. 

Maybe we have a financial wizard in the group that could talk about financing our hobbies?  Just kidding!

Edited by rstruhs
Rodney, Sandra, Jeffery, and Laura Struhs
South Jordan, Utah 98th South & 40th West.
(801) 282-2744

75 gallon reef
55 gallon reef
55 gallon FOWLR
20 gallon FOWLR
rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2006 at 7:25am

Another topic on this forum reminded me of something.

How about having a guest speaker talk about first aid, and the dangers of our hobby?  It might save someone some pain and suffering.  Any one of the Doctors or nurses willing to tackle this one?  You know, from lionfish sticks, to the pathogens already in the water, and maybe even the symptoms to watch for?

(801) 282-2744

75 gallon reef
55 gallon reef
55 gallon FOWLR
20 gallon FOWLR
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2006 at 7:28am
I could do that, after Robs 6 month course of antibiotics from his
encounter with a lionfish! And, Bruces troubles!

But, it would be a half hour or so.....
rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2006 at 7:38am

Suzy, thanks!

I am sure that topic could easily take an hour though!  You could make it longer by adding how poisonous SH's are if you eat them!

(801) 282-2744

75 gallon reef
55 gallon reef
55 gallon FOWLR
20 gallon FOWLR
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2006 at 9:02am
How about proper feeding of your tank and it's inhabitants. How much is too much. How much variety. How often. Before or after dark. Live, dried, cultured etc.

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2006 at 9:38am

Originally posted by MJSavage MJSavage wrote:

How about proper feeding of your tank and it's inhabitants. How much is too much. How much variety. How often. Before or after dark. Live, dried, cultured etc.

Mike
Click on "Presentations" to your left <----- and then select the "Feeding a Reef" topic.

Adam

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2006 at 1:37pm
Thanks, I'm sure I've read it before but now that the tank is up and going it might actually mean something.

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 8:49am
Originally posted by smatney smatney wrote:

Adam, you speak nationally.  We'd like to hear your speal that you give out in the real world.

That's because I'm a lot more popular outside of this state
My presentations there aren't much different.  Longer, more graphs and charts, usually more advanced topics.  But not anything you don't see or hear from me here.

Adam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic