Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cheap Flatworm Remedy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bob Kripfgans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Kripfgans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheap Flatworm Remedy
    Posted: January 23 2006 at 4:53pm

Hikari has a bottle of Prazi-Pro to treat flatworms. Fish-4-u has it for $4.49 verses Flatworm exit $20 at another store. Has anyone used this?

http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/skus/me/MEHI-73254.a sp?E+scstore

Edited by Bob Kripfgans
WMAS is da place!
Save the Banggai's!
Tooele,Ut.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Kripfgans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2006 at 5:01pm

I found another article on Prazi-Pro. BTW Dr. Fosters has it for $9.99

http://www.rockymountaindiscus.com/prazipro.htm

Human and livestock medical info seems to be a pretty good source of info about what these drugs are effective against.  For example, praziquantel is primarily for flatworms and relatives (trematodes), and protozoa (including flagellates) (cestodes).

Prazi Pro is the veterinary drug Droncit.

Edited by Bob Kripfgans
WMAS is da place!
Save the Banggai's!
Tooele,Ut.
Gahlenfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gahlenfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 4:48pm
Bob are you going to try it on your Nano?
jordanh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 9:57pm
let us know how it works out; my brothers 5g tank has a serious flatworm problem.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 11:39pm
I'm willing to give it a try.  I've got a 10 gallon that only has live rock in it so far and it has flatworms.  I'll pick some up tomorrow.
seti007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seti007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 1:35pm

Chris fron fish4u mentioned that product a few days ago. I think it has the same active ingredient as FE. At that price it sure is worth a shot.

I think I will be getting that and treat all new coals/clams etc before I put them in my tank. Believe me, Ive had flatworms before (in my previous tank) and they were a major PITA. a little precaution goes a long way.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Kripfgans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 2:06pm
Well the first treatment was at half the recommended dose. I did this to try it out and see what the effect would be on the tank. It made the little buggers squirm alot but it looks like they survived. Last night I increased the dosage...I will check the results when I get home and fill everyone in. 
WMAS is da place!
Save the Banggai's!
Tooele,Ut.
Gahlenfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gahlenfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 2:56pm
I will be interested in your results because I too have a problem with them.  Just watch your livestock because those little dudes release a toxin when they die that causes a lot of grief in the tank.  That happened to me when I used FE and I had to do a partial water change and run carbon to get the inhabitants happy again.

Edited by Gahlenfr

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Kripfgans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 10:45am
The worms lived!   Well back to flatworm exit. I guess the info that I recieved on Prazi-Pro, it was supposed to kills the little buggers was false. I tried, just looking to save a few pennies in this pretty expensive hobby. 
WMAS is da place!
Save the Banggai's!
Tooele,Ut.
jordanh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 1:36pm
If it is making them squirm it might be enough of a stress to kill them eventually; you may want to try continuing the dose for a while to see if it has any effect.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 11:35pm
I agree with jordanh.  I don't think flatworm exit always works the first time either.  If it does, I know a few people that should be getting their money back for their flatworm exit.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic