Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

earthquake

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ffc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: earthquake
    Posted: September 19 2003 at 3:06pm
This might be kind of silly but with all the earthquake stuff in the news I was wondering the chances of an expensive tank surviving SLC's big one.
Kahuna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kahuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2003 at 3:59pm
Isn't that why we use rubbermaid sumps.
Cell 801 860-7333
GonZo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GonZo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2003 at 7:40pm
Even if the tank survives the initial shock and the after shocks (be there any), I would think the power would be off for quite some time (still watching the East Coast), there would be flooding (very bad for the sump), gas shortages, cats and dogs living together, total chaos! If the livestock didn't die from stress, I can't imagine a UPS (a battery) handling all the power requirements of our tanks. I mean, heck, we live in a freeken desert, extreme temperatures in any season and plenty of fresh salt water (also extreme!) and how many of us could move the tanks outside to let a little sunshine in. I have a hard time imagining many tanks (fresh, marine, cost efficient, or expensive) surviving during the recovery period, but there would be some.

Edited by GonZo
Cortney (West Jordan)
The joy of discovery is certainly the liveliest that the mind of man can ever feel. - Claude Bernard
tomason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2003 at 8:28pm
>> "...cats and dogs living together..."

"I've worked in the private sector before....They expect results"

"GET HER!!!"

Good times!
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2003 at 7:11am
You won't be thinking about your tank when the big one hits........
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2003 at 10:17am
one word ( GENERATOR)
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2003 at 10:27am
If the "big one" hits, the only thing I am going to be concerned about is eating and protecting my home. That's why I have guns.... hehe...
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2003 at 11:23am
Maybe you should trade your gun for a fire extinguisher......Nobody is going to mess with your house!
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2003 at 12:43pm
Suzy, is my house that dirty?
Good thing I'm moving in with my girlfriend to help keep it clean.
Beware View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beware Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2003 at 8:44pm
Speaking of Power Outages...Do I Have Any Options For Keeping My Tank Alive In The Event Of An Extended Power Outage?
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2003 at 11:08pm
Beware, some LFS carry battery operated air pumps. Or a generator. Its good to know the amp draw of your entire system anyway.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2003 at 6:40am
Marcus! RCWilley,Dillards,Best Buy.....People won't go for used when they can have new! Not that your stuff isn't cool....

You can add air manually in a power outage. We have the power go out all the time in Riverton. There is a little bitty substation down the street that's older than Mick Jagger! You can tell the fish are suffocating when they start breathing fast....Depends on the bioload,
how long the O2 will last. Which is a great reason to have a fall harvest!
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2003 at 1:57pm
<<<<<<<<<< has a 5250 watt Generator if someones power goes out for to long.....
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2003 at 3:14pm
99% of tanks can survive a couple hours.
My opinion is that overpopulation, meaning an unbalanced environment, may be the biggest cause for problems during a power outage.
There are many in the WMAS that have survived a day without power while the tank sits stagnant. Manually siphoning and dumping water back in can be helpful. Let the water fall from the siphon hose into the bucket so it's gets well aerated.
If a battery back up is used, have it run a circulating pump only. This pump should be a pump that is always set to send water up to surface or pointed along the surface to agitate the water for good gas exchange. Also have it turn on one to two hours after the power goes out rather than immediately. If more energy needs to be saved, have it run for only 10-15 minutes each hour thereafter.
Tanks with closed hoods that require fans to circulate air would do best if the hood were either removed or at least blocked up to allow more air movement over the water.
The tank can handle the slow drop in temperature so long as temps don't go below 60-65.
These are just my ideas for surviving a power outage.

If you have overflows leading to a sump, it's good practice to turn off the power periodically to see what happens and fix problems before they occur.

And finally, talk to your fish and inverts. this will help them get through it
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Kahuna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kahuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2003 at 5:31pm

And finally, talk to your fish and inverts. this will help them get through it [/QUOTE]

Mark, you must be having a Great Day!

Cell 801 860-7333
utahtaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahtaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2003 at 10:06pm
A generator is invaluable. I don't own one yet but it is defintetly on my list. I must agree with Suzy. The power in Riverton is out more than on. Joe across the street has a Reef and he fires up the generator evey time it goes out. Makes me very jealous.
The only thing that really scares me is an earthquake. I'm sure anyone of our tanks could tip over in the event of an earthquake. Not to mention the tank could break from the shockwaves. Any reefers move here from San Francisco? Maybe you could share some stories?
Beware View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beware Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2003 at 6:17pm
Well Today The Power Went Out For 2 Hours During The Snow Storm...This Is About How I Coped Without Electricity In Below 32...I Thought It Would Come Back On Untill My Thermometer Started Beeping...I Figured I COuld Warm It By Filling Zip Locks Full Of Boiling Water Supplied By My Fireplace...I Taped A Camping Lantern To The Front Since My Xenia Had The Appeariance Of Melting...This Did't Help Much But I Did See 3 Peppermint Shrimp Attacking My Polyp...Right When I thought It Was Over...It Came Back On...Beware of Power Outages!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2003 at 11:34am
If you're thinking of running a gas powered $300 generator, why not spend $40 on a power converter from Target and idle your car instead. The power converter plugs into the lighter or hooks to the car battery. It could run a heater and a couple powerheads or large pump. The gas to idle a car for a few hours would be maybe $5. An extension cord and a quiet car idling is easier than an expensive noisy generator.

Alternatively, for my electric fishing boat moter I paid $60 for my marine battery and $30 for the charger. The $40 power converter ran my laptop computer for about 6 hours on a recent camping trip and afterward the marine battery still showed full power! My estimate is that the marine battery would run a heater and pump for 12 hours. Plus it would be absolutely quiet!

My 2 cents
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2003 at 3:20pm

Mark,

Good idea unless you need your car to go somewhere.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2003 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Jake Pehrson Jake Pehrson wrote:

Mark,

Good idea unless you need your car to go somewhere.

... I wish I would have thought of that.  Thanks Jake.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic