Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leather Dying?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leather Dying?
    Posted: January 27 2006 at 3:33pm
I bought some corals from someone and he gave me a yellow tongan leather that wasn't doing so well.  it had turned a tan color and did not extend any polyps.  We've had it for about 2 weeks now and the color and turned bright yellow again so I thought everything was going great, but now there is some brown stuff bubbling out of the top and it looks like some white stuff is coming off of him.  So is he dying, and will the stuff coming off of him release toxins that could hurt the other corals?  Any advise on what I should do would be great.  I have attached a couple of pictures, they aren't very clear but you can see the brown on the top, which is spreading pretty rapidly since it looked good yesterday.
Amber
29 gallon reef
pictures of some of my frags at frags.org
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 4:14pm

The answer is YES, this could hurt your other corals.

Here is what I would do.

Take the coral out of the tank.  Rinse the coral off well (using tank water) and remove any loose or dying tissue.  Cut the edge of the coral where any necrosis was happening and rinse again.  Then place the coral back into your tank under high water flow.  Make sure you skimmer is working well and run carbon.  If the coral start to decompose again you may want to remove him and cut the coral into cuttings and some of the cuttings should live.

I you want to be completely safe (i.e. reduce the chance they this coral may kill any of your other corals) you will need to remove him permanently.

Hope that helps.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 4:58pm

Ok well I took him out and tried to rinse him, but as I did he fell apart so I got rid of him.  Is it normal for this to happen so quickly?  It seemed like he was on the mend. 

One more questions, my frogspawn is starting to split, but some of the soft tissue is starting to recede, is this normal when they split or could there be some correlation between the two corals?

Amber
29 gallon reef
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by aaaj aaaj wrote:

Ok well I took him out and tried to rinse him, but as I did he fell apart so I got rid of him.  Is it normal for this to happen so quickly?  It seemed like he was on the mend. 

If he fell apart then he was already dead and polluting your tank.  I would sill keep you skimmer collecting as much as possible and run carbon for the next week or so.

One more questions, my frogspawn is starting to split, but some of the soft tissue is starting to recede, is this normal when they split or could there be some correlation between the two corals?

No, the flesh should not be receding.  It is possible the dying leather has something to do with the frogspawn problems (but it could also be other problems).  Skimming and carbon (as stated above) should help fix this problem (if it was caused be the leather).

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

kcliao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcliao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 6:44pm

Do some water change , too.

KC

I am from Pacific Ocean.
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 12:54am

Is it normal for this to happen so quickly? 

A friend of mine had a huge yellow Fiji leather that was gorgeous.  She had it for over 3 years.  One day she saw the same type of brown and white spots on it just on the corners.  She didn't have time to do anything about it that day so the next day I got a call to come help her save it.  By that time it was too late the whole think fell apart in my hands as I tried to frag it to save pieces of it. 

So yes, I would say when they die they can go very fast.

Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 5:37pm

is it a bacteria or fungus? Does anyone know where it comes from?

I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 4:45am
Originally posted by kcliao kcliao wrote:

Do some water change , too.

KC

Also a great suggestion.  One I should have mentioned.  In fact this may be more important then the others.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 1:30pm
I did a 50% water change yesterday, and am running carbon and everything is looking better.  I don't have a skimmer and do weekly h2o changes to help compensate.  My frogspawn is still opening up, i'm thinking that he was probably receding because of too high of flow so I moved him and started spot feeding him.  I hope he pulls through.  Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help my corals.
Amber
29 gallon reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 10:31pm

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help my corals.

There are three things I would suggest:

1. Learn by reading books and articles on the subject of keeping coral. (Many books have been suggested in threads here on the MB.)

2. Know your water parameters, especially Alkalinity, Calcium and Nitrate and learn how to properly adjust those levels.

3. Ask questions here and follow the advice received.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic