Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cup coral

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kahuna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kahuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cup coral
    Posted: October 09 2002 at 8:36pm

Hey guys,

I have a cup coral that wasn't doing too hot so I've decided to save the parts that still look good.  Here's my question.  Do I mount the pieces on their backs (opposite side of polyps), or on their edge?  Any one want to swap a cup coral frag for a ???

Kirk

Cell 801 860-7333
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2002 at 8:42pm

Probably best to ask Jim Perry or Jake, but I would say mount the back (opposite of the polyps).  That way, with time it would be able to grow back to its current shape.  That is usually the philosophy when artificially propogating corals.  But, I don't have much experience with cups.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2002 at 10:52pm

I'll trade you - let me know!  As for mounting it, I would say along the break that you made.  The underside on the cup wasn't touching anything before you broke it, so why make it touch anything now.  But I have never done it before.  Good luck!

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2002 at 9:53am

The problem with mounting the cutting on its back is that there is a layer of skin that will most likely start to receed and usually kill the coral if mounted on its back.

The best way in my opinion is to mount it along the break or another part without living flesh.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2002 at 12:17pm

I'm confused 

I trust Jake on this but it still doesn't make sense to me.  I don't see how attaching rock on the "cut" end avoids contact to the flesh??? Isn't the newly cut area fleshy?  And the cut end (getting a little in depth here) should be the side closest to the source of high water flow to prevent bacterial build up, and to assist in sloughing off of mucas coatings.  Isn't that right?  I wouldn't normally think that you should put the cut side against the new substrate (rock). 

But Jake has probably had more experience with cups than I have, so I guess go with that.

No need to write back to me, unless you want to. 

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2002 at 1:37pm

The newly cut area of a cup coral in not fleshy.  The only part of the cup coral that is alive is the outer skin.  The cut area is just dead skeleton.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

John Fletcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Fletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2002 at 2:07pm
I'm sorry, but i have to disagree.  Think of it this way....  a piece of the cup coral gets knocked off in the ocean how it lands is how it grows.  To put it into terms...glue the piece on the underside of the coral, glue the piece to a crack in the rock, just glue it, nature will take it's own course.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2002 at 9:19pm

The problem is nature doesn't have to succeed every time or even most of the time.  We need to improve the odds of keeping this coral alive.  It is very common in cup corals to have the flesh recede from the skeleton if it is glued where live flesh is present.  Some corals can tolerate this more than other, but cup corals seem to be pickier than others.

If you glue the flesh to a rock will it die?  Maybe.  Maybe Not.  I am just giving advice to try and increase the chance of the coral surviving.

Again, this is just my opinion (I've been wrong before).

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic