Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feeding Fish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feeding Fish
    Posted: February 01 2006 at 12:00pm

If each fish in your tank ate 2.0 grams of food per day, how much food would you have to add to your tank every day/week/month?

How does that compare to how much all of you are currently feeding?

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
ryanj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 12:07pm

I have 9 fish, so 18g/day, 126g/week, and 540g/month.

But I'm curious, how much is one of those small cubes of fozen brine shrimp?  I'm not at home.  And where did you come up with 2g per fish per day method? 

unixnum1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unixnum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 12:21pm
Also, does that 2g include the liquid that floats away or just the solid part?
One of those cubes of brine, FE has alot of water frozen with the shrimp.

I don't know about your fish but mine ignore the liquid and head for the meat.
220G with 30G sump, SPS/LPS. RoboTank Controller.
=====================================

If life is a bowl of cherry's,
why am I always the stem?

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 12:31pm

But I'm curious, how much is one of those small cubes of fozen brine shrimp?  I'm not at home.  And where did you come up with 2g per fish per day method? 

I'll get back to you on that one.

Also, does that 2g include the liquid that floats away or just the solid part?

I don't know.

Adam

ryanj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 12:33pm

Get back for sure because you've got me curious.

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 1:29pm

I think it includes water weight.  I'm curious to see how this compares to how much we are all feeding our tanks.

Adam

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 1:43pm
Geez, I don't know. I buy food every weeek, it seems like, and I use a lot
of mysis and krill. Want us to start paying attention?

Just guessing, I probably use the equivalent of 4 cubes per tank?

Now, I have to go count my fish!
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 1:51pm
I feed one of the rectangular mysis or brine shrimp cubes (2.8g) and one of the larger cubish shaped bloodworm cubes (4.2g) to my 180 which has maybe 7 fish (large damsel size). To my 20 gallon i add 1/2 cube of the mysis or brine shrimp cube (1.4g) which feeds 2 clowns, 1 royal grama, 1 damsel
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 1:55pm
The package says 200 grams for 72 cubes. Thats 2.78g each.  I weighed several on a scale and they were 2.7-2.8g.
unixnum1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unixnum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 1:56pm
The food I make is frozen with very little water so I will have to weigh how much I usually feed them.
Since I feed them until they stop nibbling on my fingers, it varies each feeding time.
220G with 30G sump, SPS/LPS. RoboTank Controller.
=====================================

If life is a bowl of cherry's,
why am I always the stem?

pmpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 4:53pm
I buy the flats of mysis shrimp and just break off bits of it. Feed a little, then a little more, until the fish stop acting really interested in the food. Combined with some Spectrum pellet food that I drop a pinch in every now and then. I really have no idea how much I feed.
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 11:14pm

If a cube is 2.8 grams and I have 8 fish that eat 2 grams each per day I must way underfeed.  I feed the equivilent of 2-3 cubes per day, usually closer to 2. 

I have some Omega One Veggie Flakes since I have so many Tangs.  It says there are 28 grams in the bottle when purchased.  If I fed 2 grams per fish per day I would feed the entire bottle in 2 or 3 days.  That's a lot of food and I would think way overkill in neary anyones opinion.

Am I not understanding the question properly?

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 11:35pm
Will, I believe you understand it perfectly. Sounds to me like we are part of one of Adam's projects.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 9:16am

Everyone understands correctly.  This week at work I've been reviewing presentations from past MACNA and IMAC conferences.  A couple things jumped out and I'm wondering how true they are.

Adam

pmpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 9:19am
Could you explain further??
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 9:25am

Get back for sure because you've got me curious.

Could you explain further??

Ryan and Dan

Well you can actually see the video I took that info from on www.theimac.org.  It is in the Ron Shimek presentation (about 30 mins long) on the home page. 
(Dan, only uses one session of quota time, then it will play all day long)

Anyway fish nutrition is one of my specialties.  I have some reservations about that information provided.  In that I do believe are fish are feeding all day long, plus they don't have anywhere near the energetic expenditure of fish on a reef.  Anyway I was just going to get some quick info on this thread to "feed" my curiosity.

Adam

ryanj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 11:12am
Well then, would you say, in your own opinion, that it is better to feed 2g/fish at once or spread it out.  Lets just forget about the 2g thing... would you say it is better for your fish if you feed one large feeding a day, two or three small feedings, or even up to four small feedings a day?
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 11:20am

Ah, be prepared for a pure Adam answer (something I am known to do)

would you say it is better for your fish if you feed one large feeding a day, two or three small feedings, or even up to four small feedings a day?

It would be much better for your fish to have 10 small feedings per day.  However it may or may not be better for your tank. 

Also, something Scott Michael and I often discuss, how realistic is it to assume you can feed your fish several times per day.

Adam

ryanj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 1:02pm
Welll it's way unrealistic to feed them 10 times a day.  But that would mimic their natural environment better huh.  I've been trying to feed three times a day, and haven't really noticed anything good or bad.  (good meaning healthier "looking" fish, bad meaning higher nutrients).  I assume when you say bad for you tank, you mean elevated nutrient levels.  Am I right?
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 1:06pm

Some fish are easy to feed all day long: Tangs with a piece of Nori on a magfloat.

I wonder if we thought about it, if we could come up with a way to feed them more often?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic