Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

(SSCS) Sudden Crab Death Syndrom

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Beware View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beware Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: (SSCS) Sudden Crab Death Syndrom
    Posted: September 24 2003 at 4:16pm

So I Was Looking In My Tank And I Noticed A Dead Scarlet Crab That The My Peppermint Shrimp And A Scarlet Were Eating..After Closer Investigation I Noticed It Wasnt Dead.  I Pulled It Wawy From Them And Put It On The Other Side Of The Tank...It Later Died...Any Answers Here?  I Dont Think I Have Camel Peppermint Shrimp Unless Thats What They Are Selling At Aquatica Now...

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2003 at 5:18pm
Everything dies sometime. If it were me I wouldn't be worried about one dead scarlet reef crab. Maybe it was just old and had a great life. When you lose twenty at a time, then start worrying.
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2003 at 7:57pm
Marcus is right... You'll be buying plenty of crabs in your future.
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2003 at 8:25pm
Crabs whole goal in live is to get a bigger shell sometimes there are crabs allready in them so they fight and the winner keeps the house its the cycle of life on a reef.....
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Beware View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beware Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2003 at 9:13pm
Well Yeah I Knew That It Just Seemed A Little More Suspiciuos Cause He Was Still Alive...And I Suppose The Two Dead Snails Got Me A Little Suspious But I Figured It Was Natural For Those Two Since They Were Hitch Hikers From Some Live Rock From Marcus...Also Am I The Only One On This Group Under 21?...
Kirklan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirklan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2003 at 1:06pm

1) Make sure you have a few shells of the appropriate size available for the crabs to switch to if needed.  That way they don't try and kill each other for a new and improved pad.

2)  Do you have enough algae for them to eat?  Crabs will turn into cannibals if there is not enough algae to go around.

3) Do you have fish in your tank that you feed on a regular basis.  Crabs will scavenge the tank for the left over food after a feeding satisfying their need for "meat". 

4) You may just have a serial killer on your hands.  Every hermit crab has a little of this in them. 

You probably already new this, but thought that I might throw them out there.

Kirklan

SE Idaho
67G Rimless Reef
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 12:40am
no u are not the only one under 21 im 19
It's not about what you know but about who you know
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 9:07am
Im under 21Wink

Tons that is.....

Edited by Dion Richins - October 27 2010 at 9:08am
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 10:34am
This thread is under 21.LOL
And yet it's very old at 7 years! Shocked How did davser find it?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 12:52pm
i dont know how i found it but when i realized that it was old i had replied already
It's not about what you know but about who you know
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic