Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Upcoming Meetings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upcoming Meetings
    Posted: October 02 2003 at 9:52am

Well we all know that tonight is the CORAL CUTTING SEMINAR.... but what about next month?  The presidency could use some suggestions for November and December.  January looks like the next coral cutting seminar, unless we push it back to February.

So, what would you like to discuss.........

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2003 at 10:27am
Adam,
I would find useful a discussion of lighting options and the pros and cons of each option to include where coral, clam, and algae types come from in the wild and what light is best for each, in the best position in our aquariums.
BTW - I always thought that my aquarium in the window was getting more intense sunlight than it would receive at the equator, because of our higher elevation. An LFS owner recently pointed out to me that this was incorrect because the sun is shining at more of an angle here! Any comments? Does anyone else have an aquarium in the window?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2003 at 10:34am

Far Far Far less light reaching our tanks here in the window.  Keeping the tank outside, and not inside helps a ton for sunlight.  An unbelievalbe amount.  With that being said, a tank by a window does receive a ton of extra light that is not available in the middle of the room.  I find that my tanks by windows have much better xenia growth especially.  You can keep tank here outside without any lights on them, but in Equador it is much easier. 

The human eye has evolved well to adapt to lighting conditions.  It may not look much different inside or outside to us, but there is a huge difference in photon concentration. 

Adam  

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2003 at 10:41am

One more thing for Mark.... think about how difficult it is to sunburn here in SLC.  You almost have to try.  Think about how hard it is to not sunburn in Samoa, nearly impossible. 

That sun has a lot of power to it. 

Adam

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2003 at 1:11pm
I've never found it difficult to sunburn here........
I think we should have a question and answer meeting with a panel of experts. People could write their questions or email them. Jon (chemistry knowledge), Ryan (lighting), Adam (algae expert), Mark (knows everything), Marcus (knows everything,too), Jake (knows everything else)ect,ect,ect. We have a ton of smarty-pansy kinda people who could give differing opinions to panel of a panel of experts!
   I could be the moderator 'cause it's my idea!    
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2003 at 1:19pm

Wow Suzy! I wrote that exact same idea down (well, typed it in actually) but I just didn't send it! An open forum where the know-it-alls can have their brains picked apart. I'm in for that! Ask Mark!

Excellent idea! 

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Chem Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chem Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2003 at 1:28pm
Adam,

Since you are looking for ideas of future topics, you may want to look at something like:

“Uncommon invertebrates worthy of attention”
“Creating a functional ecosystem in an aquarium”
“Where do we go from here-future of reefkeeping”
“What is this thing crawling out of my liverock?”
“Why doesn’t that work for me?”
“Future of public aquariums”
“Reef ecology”
“Reef keeping on a budget”
“Grow/collect your reef’s food (or seahorse’s food, etc.)
"Getting rid of pesky pests"
"Keeping/loving pests (things like mantis shrimp)"
"What NOT to put in a reef tank"

Obviously, some of these could be multi-meeting topics. “Reef ecology”, for example, could cover roles of detritivore, energy pathways (how to simulate in an aquarium), primary producers, major trophic levels, role of predators, etc. Uncommon invertebrates could be broken up into microorganisms, vertebrates, mollusks, worms, arthropods, etc.

Suggestions for future speakers:

Walter Adey-creation of ecosystems, large and small.
Ron Shimek (again)-invertebrates or ecosystems
Julian Sprung (again)-future of the hobby

Anyway, just my $0.02 worth.

-Jim

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2003 at 2:38pm

BTW - I always thought that my aquarium in the window was getting more intense sunlight than it would receive at the equator, because of our higher elevation. An LFS owner recently pointed out to me that this was incorrect because the sun is shining at more of an angle here! Any comments? Does anyone else have an aquarium in the window?

Here's a table for you (values are Total Monthly Solar Radiation In a Cloudless Sky, units are kcal/cm2):

Equator      40° N Latitude  
Jan      20.2              8.8
Feb      20.9              12.2
Mar      21.5              16.4
Apr      20.4              20.3
May     19.3              23.0
Jun      18.8              24.0
Jul       19.1              23.4
Aug     19.3              20.9
Sep     21.2              17.0
Oct      21.2             13.2
Nov     20.4             9.7
Dec     19.2             7.7

Total radiation is the sum of the direct and scattered radiation that strikes the earth's surface.  It is influenced by the degree of cloudiness, atmospheric transparency, duration of sunshine, and the height of elevation at which the measurements are taken.

Data from:  CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 73rd Edition, p. 14-9

GonZo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GonZo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2003 at 10:50pm
It was once suggested that we have a meeting on a small and inexpensive setup, possibly raffling off the tank created at the meeting. At one point there was even a volunteer, but it wasn't me so I don't know much more than that.
Cortney (West Jordan)
The joy of discovery is certainly the liveliest that the mind of man can ever feel. - Claude Bernard
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2003 at 12:19am
Thanks Jon, So the summer months are practically the same light energy, even a little more, but winter is dark in comparison. My south facing window only received direct sunlight in the winter and in the summer the leaves on the trees blocked the sun so much that the light was even less in the summer, so I had an aquarium receiving about 1/4 the light of the equator. Interesting....
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2003 at 10:52am

Mark,  at the south pole in December the TMSR is 27.0 kcal/cm2.   That's how I keep my penguins growing so large ...

reeferman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reeferman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2003 at 10:03pm
The first meeting I went to 2 or 3 years ago, the club had a swap meet after the speaker. I know most,if not all of us, have equipment or stuff we have diy'ed. The club could charge a small table fee or a % of price we got. We could clean out our old stuff and come home with a butch of new junk and the club gets a litle for the bank. I,m just throwing out my thinking.
i'm a sucker for anything fishy
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2003 at 7:31am
The swap meet is free for anyone selling old equipment, etc. In the past whatever you sold, you kept the proceeds. But it's an interesting idea. The last one we had was at the community college, but maybe it's time for another one. I have a few things in my cabinet that I could sell.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2003 at 11:15am
You know, with over 100 members this year and the 25 or more that came to the last meeting for the first time, if everyone just renewed their membership and new people paid for membership, the club would not have to do anything more than we currently do.
Unfortunately, there are many people that take advantage of the WMAS and either do not renew or never pay.
I could make a list here but that would embarrass them and that wouldn't seem right. They know who they are. And if they don't they can call me or look at the current membership list [almost] always available at the meetings.
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2003 at 8:48pm

Mark - I think the point that was trying to be made was alternate ways to increase funding for the club.

Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
Reefsaver View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefsaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2003 at 9:08pm

I think Mark makes a great point if we'd all just pay our small share for the great benefits, we wouldn't have to try to create alternate funding for club.

Sean - I'll be out your way Wed. about 5pm are you going to be around. I've got a pink birdsnest  for you and I also want to check out all your exotic stuff.

Reefsaver
www.Reefsaver.net
Utah's Handpicked Coral
801 860-Reef(7333)
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2003 at 10:03pm
Kirk - Unfortunately I don't get off work until 9pm.  I'm available on Friday though.  Let me know.
Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2003 at 7:17am
Crap! I forgot to pay our dues! We always renew in October, right? I will have my checkbook next meeting. Sorry, Mark!
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2003 at 10:20am

The new membership cards are ready, so you can buy them in November, December, whenever.  I'm sure Mark will have them out next meeting.

Adam

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic