FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Coral?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Coral?
    Posted: July 19 2002 at 6:23pm
What might be the best choice for my first coral? I know someone else who has the same question.
Flaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2002 at 8:52pm
Xenia.  Most members will give you some for free (including me).
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2002 at 7:43am

Woods Polyps, Mushrooms, Xenia like Flaz said... They are all pretty hardy IMHO. Xenia can grow like a weed if you let it, or you can keep it trimmed. It was my first coral as well, and I wanted it to fill in to make my tank look nicer, but now I regret letting it get away from me as much as I have. If you want a beautiful Xenia, that's easier to control, go with Silver Tipped Xenia. It tends to have shorter polyp extensions.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2002 at 9:16pm
What do I need  for keeping xenia? Lights? Other things?
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2002 at 6:59am

You can keep Xenia with fairly basic lighting. I have a friend that keeps Xenia really well in a 55 gallon with 3 40 Watt Normal Output flourescents. You'll also want to start feeding them "filter feeder foods" such as Phytoplex by Kent, or some other form of "live" food. Rotifers is also another excellent source of food from what I hear, but I have yet to try it.

The most important thing for Xenia I have found is to dose with Lugol's Solution. It's an Iodine supplement. 2 Drops per 40 Gallons, I believe. Read the directions on the bottle for an accurate dosing.

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2002 at 3:36pm

Cowfish-  what do you want to keep?  I would check to see what type of lighting you have, before getting your first coral. But xenia and mushrooms are the most common starter corals

Adam

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic