Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Colt Coral & Nudibranches

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nigel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Colt Coral & Nudibranches
    Posted: October 14 2002 at 11:35am
I have a colt coral that will not open up and expand. I think the problem may be because of some nudibranches, I have seen two of them at the base of my colt. They are pure white with what looks like polyps on their backs. I also have another colt in my tank which is doing great, so i'm thinking that maybe the nudibranches could be the problem. Any advise would be greatly apreciated.
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2002 at 10:21am

Most nubibranchs are specialized eaters.  If you have found some near or on this coral, then most likely they are feeding on your colt.

I would recommend a coral dip in iodine or one of the commercially available coral dips.  After the dip all the nudibranchs should fall off.  You may need to repeat this procedure every week for a month or two to get rid of them all.

P.S.  Identification will be hard because of the vast numbers of nudibranch species, but not impossible.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic