Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Refugium

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dmanshep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmanshep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refugium
    Posted: October 14 2002 at 1:23pm

Hello again,

I am highly considering setting up a refugium on my 90gal, I have a few unanswered questions about it.  Does anyone know what size tank I should use to support a 90 gal?  Does anyone know where I can get a hole drilled in a tank for the return pump (cheap)?  Does anyone have a used tank they want to get rid of that I could use for a refugia?  Can I use a refugia to replace my current micron bag sump setup? 

thanks again

dan

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2002 at 2:13pm

Wow lots of questions.  Many opinions, and these are just mine.

I don't like holes in sumps, but instead prefer submersible pumps.  If you do want an in line pump then you can get a great sump tank from Brad at the Aquarium.  I have no idea what they cost.  Cheapest method is Rubbermaid tubs and containers.  If you just want a simple acrylic box, you can buy them, but they are pricey when compared to a glass tank.  I would probably recommend getting a glass tank (bigger the better) and would say you should have like a 30 gallon sump?  Maybe? 

You can keep your micron bag sump, or remove it.  Advantages and Disadvantages to either way, more of a preference on what you think will work best for you.  I would recommend seeing some tanks, and deciding what you think will work best for you.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2002 at 12:01am
I'm looking at buying an ESP hang on the back refugium.  I have a 75 gallon tank and I should probably get something a lot bigger, but I'm going to continue using my existing sock in the sump filter system.  I am mainly getting this for the beauty of it.  There are lots of plants that i think are great to look at.  I would say that a 20 gallon refugium would be a good one for a 90 gallon tank though. 
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2002 at 12:13am
my bad.....its CPR that makes the refugium that I'm looking at.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic