Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help, Naso Tang!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help, Naso Tang!
    Posted: October 14 2003 at 7:40pm
I came home tonight to see my Naso Tang not doing too well. It is on its side and seems to be breathing heavily. This would be the first fish I've lost, so I'm not sure what to do. I don't see that he visibly has any ich, but the cleaners are on him right now. I've heard of doing fresh water dips, but not sure how to do it. Any ideas? Thanks!
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2003 at 5:40am
IMO don't do fresh water dips. It will cause the fish much more stress by trying to catch him and then put him in water that could kill him. Stress is one of the biggest factors there is in fish disease. Even if he does have ich the fresh water will not kill all of it and the stress will make him much more succeptible to infection. Have you made any changes to the tank before this happened? I would just keep a close eye on him and let us know of any changes. Let the cleaners do their job. Good luck.
Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
John Fletcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Fletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2003 at 7:52am
Ryan, I'm not a fish expert, so I have no advice to give. I hope everything goes well.
John Fletcher

20 years experience

(Tank of the Month for May 2003)Taking a little break...
mdawson8931 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdawson8931 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2003 at 8:58am
There isnt anything I can tell you that you dont already know. Hope everthing is well. It's your new guy isnt he?
Mike
Layton, Ut.
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2003 at 11:46am
I've had him for over 3 months now and he has seemed to be doing very well. Eats, swims around and the whole deal. The only thing I can think of is on Monday night I did a water change and the next morning he was acting a little funny, but I've done quite a few water changes with him in there and nothing done differently. He was the last fish I've introduced.
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2003 at 1:03pm

Increase the oxygen saturation in your tank.  This will usually help the tang recover from whatever is ailing him (although his prognosis doesn’t look good).

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2003 at 1:33pm

Maybe the tang's a Cubs fan...

(hope he pulls out of it)

rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2003 at 2:06pm
Ahhhh! My wife just called, doesn't sound like it pulled through. Thanks everyone for help and all!
sjlopez39 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjlopez39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2003 at 11:51am
Ah! The dreaded phone call of fish death. I've recieved a few myself. It always stinks when this happens. If things test ok in the tank, I wouldn't dwell on it too much. It may have been a problem with the fish, not the tank.
Keep your hands and arms inside the tank and enjoy the ride!

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic