Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DIY group projects

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY group projects
    Posted: April 02 2006 at 9:20pm

Has this club tried to do DIY projects as a group?  For example, I'd like to build a skimmer but really don't find the instructions straight forward and don't have the tools. 

Connie
Tooele
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 10:43pm
I don't know that they have but it might be a good idea as long as some people can agree on a project and a design.

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 7:10am
We do DIY presentations quite often in meetings. Is there something in
particular you would like to see?

Lots of people here will lend you their tools.
Angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 7:42am

Well, I need to start with a skimmer.  I just thought it would be a fun way to get together as well. 

Connie
Tooele
ReefBones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 12:52pm
I too need to build a skimmer ... but I dont have the tools to cut the acrilic tubing ... Anyone out there wanna lend me a hand?????
140 gallon Reef
65 gallon Reef
55 gallon Aggressive

www.thesalttank.com

801-865-6074

"encourage other divers and sea enthusiasts to take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but bubbles"
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 8:48pm
a group build would be a fun project, I have a miter saw that can cut tubing, a lot of other tools if needed, between the group if we set up a assembly line, how long would it take to make 10 protein skimmers?

Brian
Family Portraits /Google trusted Photographer for Google Maps for Businesses
Angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 8:57pm

That the spirit!

Would we want one person to buy all parts and divide the amount between those building or would we want a parts list ~ everyone show up with the right things? 

If there was enough interest maybe we could make one extra to post for sale with profit going to the club. 

What tools are needed to build a good skimmer?

Connie
Tooele
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 9:08pm
If Im right the acrylic would be cheap. Its the motor what will cost the most. Right??  Id be in. I need one for the new 80 gallon Ijust picked up for the office.
I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them.

180 gallon money pit that I love.....
Angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 9:21pm

OK, we will want to build different size simmers.  Questions:

Would all the skimmers have the same size tubing?  What tools are needed?

Connie
Tooele
Gahlenfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gahlenfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 9:31pm
I would be in for that also.
zionsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zionsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 10:04pm
Count me in.
ReefBones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 10:27pm

I would be there .. I already have most of the meterals .. I just need to tools!!!! .. lol ..

140 gallon Reef
65 gallon Reef
55 gallon Aggressive

www.thesalttank.com

801-865-6074

"encourage other divers and sea enthusiasts to take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but bubbles"
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 11:21pm
Different sizes will make things more difficult, as far as getting the materials together, the pump will be the most expensive thing, I have connections with the local pool suppliers as far a getting clear(near clear) acrylic.  I have a 4' piece of 3" now but decided that it would be to small for a good skimmer, but maybe it could be used for the collection cup or something?

anyone with a set of plans?
I am thinking along the lines of the asm skimmers(like the one I bought two weeks ago)

Brian
ReefBones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 11:39pm
Mine would have to be an exturnal skimmer ... my sump is too small for the size of skimmer I want to build .. (6" acrillic) ...
140 gallon Reef
65 gallon Reef
55 gallon Aggressive

www.thesalttank.com

801-865-6074

Angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 10:14pm
OK, Ya'll know that we need someone with expertiese and someone with tools (what tools we don't know yet) to step forward.
Connie
Tooele
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2006 at 10:33pm
what about a viti*(I mean volunteer) that has allready built one, anyone??? to step forward and lead this endeavor>?
I have some tools, mitersaw, sawzall,(like the one the guy in CA a few years back  used to cut his house in half over a divorce dispute)
dewalt  drill, holesaws, etc.
but what tools are needed???

Brian

dpdecaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpdecaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 12:48pm

just wondering if i could join in. I never built one because i like the tools but wouldbe fun to try.

David

ltanner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltanner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 1:00pm
Count me in on a DIY skimmer. I have access some larger wood-working tools (table saw, drill press, jigsaw, etc.) that could be used to cut bigger parts ahead of time, then bring the parts to the DIY party.  Don't have anything too portable as far as tools go, though.

So, to get this going, it seems like we just need a set of successful plans with a parts list???
Laura
Orem
29 gal reef
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2007 at 2:07pm

This recommendation was also reviewed by the presidency. Throughout the year, we will have meeting devoted to projects that you can (and should) try for yourself. Not only can you save some money, you can also increase your knowledge of the hobby and the equipment involved.

Although we do not foresee the club sponsoring large scale DIY builds, we encourage members to combine their talents and resources for projects. The MB can be used to organize projects and any plans, part lists, pictures, etc can be added to our Presentation tab for future reference.

Thanks for the idea and please keep them coming!
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2007 at 6:58pm
Cool; More great meetings on the way!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic