Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alkalinity vs. pH

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lowry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lowry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alkalinity vs. pH
    Posted: April 13 2006 at 3:04pm

So, my husband swears that alkalinity and pH are the same thing. His sicence background gave me a 100% garantee. This is his argument for not getting an alkalinity tester...husbands... After all of the reading I have done, obviously I've figured out they are different, but he will just not listen to me. So, I need your help.  Without insulting (I don't want to sleep on the couch) please scientifically explain to him why pH and alkalinity are different. I would greatly appreciate it, plus I get to say, I told you so!

Sarah Lowry

PM's or emails are fine too

Moving back to Utah soon, and starting a new tank or three!
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 3:29pm

pH is a measure of hydronium ions (H3O+ or more commonly refered to as H+) in an aqueous solution.  Hydronium is related to hydroxide via water.

H2O = H+ + OH-

pH=-log([H+])

This is where his confusion likely comes from.  A pH of 7 is said to be neutral.  pH less then 7 is acidic.  pH greater then 7 is alkaline.  Alkaline describes a pH condition.

Alkalinity is a measure of ions in solution that collectively cause the solution to be alkaline.  So... alkalinity does not equal alkaline.

There is another property of water that is called acidity.  It is the measure of ions that contribute to the acidic nature of a solution.  Since seawater has almost no acidity, it's not important for us, but for some freshwater systems it is.

My advice for presenting this to him:  explain it to him about 5 minutes after the two of you crawl into bed.  His attention will be on sleep or something else and I find that I'm more receptive to new ideas in either of these condtions. 

unixnum1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unixnum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 4:33pm
I was having problems explaining it to a chemist also until I mentioned what John said and then the chemist said "Ohhh, now I know what you are talking about"
At that point he understood and could answer my questions.

Good luck
220G with 30G sump, SPS/LPS. RoboTank Controller.
=====================================

If life is a bowl of cherry's,
why am I always the stem?

Lowry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lowry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 4:59pm

Thank you so much!  I'll be sure to send this on to him.  And thanks for the communication suggestion Jon.

Sarah Lowry

Jared Wood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 5:55pm

How does a Calcium Reactor work to effect: 

• pH
  • alkalinity
  • calcium level

Does a calcium reactor completely replace dosing?

In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth ... then He let it cycle.

Have you read my dinosaur theory yet?
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 7:32am
Jon, I was told that PH will follow alkalinity.  So if your alkalinity is in an exceptable range more than likely your ph will be as well. What is your opinion on this?
Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 9:02am

How does a Calcium Reactor work to effect: 

• pH
  • alkalinity
  • calcium level

pH will tend to decline due to all the CO2.  Alkalinity and calcium level should stay steady (thats the whole reason to have a reactor).

Does a calcium reactor completely replace dosing?

It can completely replace calcium and alkalinity dosing.  Other stuff may or may not need dosing.

Jon, I was told that PH will follow alkalinity.  So if your alkalinity is in an exceptable range more than likely your ph will be as well. What is your opinion on this?

It's generally true that a tank with a higher alkalinity will also have a higher pH, but really depends on the tank.  But both alkalinity and dissolved CO2 effect saltwater pH.  So if you have a tank with excessive amounts of CO2 (many tanks with calcium reactors and poor gas exchange or high indoor CO2 levels), you could have a high alkalinity and low pH.  My tank runs with 3-3.5 meq/l alk but a pH of only 7.8 - 8.0 due to CO2.

chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 9:44am
Mme Lowry:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/may2002/chem.htm

Your question got me interested, I think that link would help.  It comes from the advanced aquarist, so it must be true. 

What are the tags to link it?  [a href] doesn't work.

Edited by chris.rogers
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 9:48am

smatney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smatney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 12:39pm

FYI - I was ready to duke it out about this as well.  With my nursing background, I was sure that alkalinity was a pH measurement.  Jon set me straight as well.

Thanks Jon for your expertise.  You are loved.

Susan Matney
Farmington, UT
Lowry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lowry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 1:10pm

So...without a doubt you should be testing both pH AND alkalinity?  I sent him the info Jon wrote but then he said he didn't see why we had to test for both.  But you are saying it's possible to have one at a good level and one at a bad level at the same time? So testing both is necessary. Just want to finish clearing this up with the hubby.  Thank you for all of your help.

Sarah Lowry

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 1:23pm

Yes, you need to test both.  Most would agree testing alkalinity is more important.  Unless you are running something unusual (ozone, CO2, etc) you won't have many changes in pH and really don't need to test it but every once in a while.  Alkalinity is something you need to monitor, especially in reef aquariums.

I agree with Jon, anything said while in bed is either shrugged off or easily accepted.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 2:03pm
I havn't tested ph in about 2 yrs.  I do test alkalinity about every 2 months.  I probably would test ph if problems pointed that way.
Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 2:22pm

Absolutely, pH and alkalinty are two different animals.

pH = the amount of H+ ions floating around in the water

Alkalinity = the amount of CO3++ and HCO3+ floating around in the water

Monitoring and maintaining alkalinity is more of a concern then pH.  My alkalinity can drop from 3.5 to 1.5 meq/l and only show a drop of about 0.1 pH units.  Acros are severely stressed at an alkalinity of 1.5 meq/l.

amorgenegg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amorgenegg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 2:28pm
Doesn't alkalinity buffer the PH so that it doesn't change as easily as with lower alkalinity?  If it is buffering it and your PH doesn't change as much, then it would not be as much of a stress to the animals because the PH would be more stable.   Is that right?
Andrew Morgenegg
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 4:24pm

amorgenegg, yes... but with some caveats.

chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 11:38pm
Which are?
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2006 at 12:08pm
Really the only alkalinity that we are concerned about in our tanks is carbonate alkalinity.  But others compounds also add to the alkalinity of our tanks such as borates.  Borate is a much better buffer then carbonate... so if all you were worried about was a stable pH you could dump a bunch of borate into your tank, but don't do it 'cause it's not really a good idea
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic