FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A small reef tank I saw on vacation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A small reef tank I saw on vacation
    Posted: October 27 2003 at 12:03pm

These pictures are of the 16,000 gallon reef tank at Atlantis Marine World on Long Island, NY.  Sorry about the quality and color of these, my digital camera doesn't do so well in low light.

Here is there tank:

Here is the left side:

The right side:

Various other shots

ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2003 at 12:16pm
Ya thats about like mine. Maybe just a bit larger.   
Thanks for sharing the pics.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2003 at 12:54pm
WOW.  Look at the fish density!!!
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2003 at 1:08pm
I want one!
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2003 at 1:15pm
I'll take two of those please...
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2003 at 3:40pm
Jorg,

Did they mention lighting requirements, additives, filtration techniques, ect? It would be interesting to know how they do things on such a large system.

Awesome pics - thanks.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2003 at 4:18pm

Shane, I think the curator of this tank posts on reefcentral as justjoe.  A search on his username might reveal some info?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2003 at 4:59pm

Poking around reefcentral, here's what I came up with:

The tank is 6.5' water depth. 20,000 watts of light in a variety of fixtures, most are stadium lighting fixtures with parabolic reflectors to punch the light down.

Here's a picture of the skimmer: http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=7498&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

You may need to be registered to see it.

Another post there said each of those windows is 4x10, if that gives you some size ideas.

He sais it is a 20,000 gallon tank. The 16,000 I got was from the poster next to it.

20,000 gallon 30' x 14' x 6.5' deep 

Edited by Jorg
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2003 at 11:47am
That skimmer would even clean out the occasional 'nuisance' tourist who decides to go swimming.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2003 at 7:32pm
There has to be at least as much water running through the filtration equipment behind the scenes. Did you get a glimpse of the secret behind the humongous amount of fish? Thanks for sharing the pics.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
sjlopez39 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjlopez39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2003 at 12:03am
WOWZERS!!!
Keep your hands and arms inside the tank and enjoy the ride!

Steve
JodyR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JodyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2003 at 11:17am
WOW, can you imagine the electricity bill on that one!
<font color="red">I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without all of the sponges?
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2003 at 8:42pm
If you can afford that many fish you can probably afford the electric bill.  Fantastic!  Maybe one day we'll have one here in Salt Lake?!?
ljbs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ljbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2003 at 9:29pm
Wow, I wonder if they have a swap meet there? I have never seen anything so grand. Sinbad - get me one of those blue tangs.   They seem to have plenty. I'd love to see that myself.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic