Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Calcium Reactor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Flaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2003 at 9:28am

Carl- I built my calcium reactor and it was a fairly easy project.  If you build your own I would plan on spending around $100 (if not more).  If I were to do it over again I just buy a reactor from George Weber (GEO) if you can find one for $150 (even at $230 they would be better than most).  His stuff is better quality than most DIY people can produce (I have one of his skimmers and love it!).

FWIW, I'll never run another reef aquarium without a calcium reactor again.  After the reactor is setup and your system is balanced then you save a ton of time on maintenance and monitoring.  I love it!

Edited by Flaz
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2003 at 9:45am

Flaz, I agree with the balancing thing. It's a great way to let the system babysit itself. What I am having a difficult time balancing is my check book. Holy s*** it is getting expensive! I thought that I would save so much money getting a system with all of the functional components already, but WOW! I think that I have dropped over a grand so far for a system I spent $550 for. And I still need LR! I think that if I spend $200 on a CR right now, I'll be sleeping with the fishes!

Thank goodness money grows on trees!

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2003 at 1:20pm

CarlI just found out that those new $20 bills were designed specifically so that they won't grow on trees anymore so we're all going to have to start working for it now.

I may be looking for a setup in about 6-12 months for my new tank.  If anyone comes across any other fairly good priced units over the next little while please post the model here so I can have a place to start looking when I have more "Green". (and red and blue now too.)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic