Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Novice seeking help.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Kevin F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by lewistonbaker lewistonbaker wrote:

We talked with Mark Peterson today who offered some good advice and told us of some good articles to read.  Then Steve Burton called and generously offered to come over and test and look over the aquarium. 

It's great to have a community that supports each other like that. You are very lucky. There's not to many communities like this out there. Very glad for you that things are looking up and you have a plan.

Personally I'd put the biggest fuge you can fit under there, under there. A mix between green grape caulphera and chaetomorpha would be great for both nutrient export, and a haven for the pods. IME green grape will grow faster then chaeto under the same conditions, so it's exports more of the nutrients.

I just use those $5 clip on lights from Home Depot on my refugium. I have some $6 dollar Compact Flourscent bulbs that work beautifully. I used to have PC's, but cheaped out, and am having better success with the compact flourscents. I think the color spectrum is better for the macro's and the output is higher JME.

The tanks I've seen with the Ecosystem Miracle Mud seem to utalize the refugium the best. I have a friend who runs a 120g with no filter, or skimmer, just an Ecosystem sump/refugium with the mud and some green grape caulphera. He also has alot of rubblerock in the fuge. The tank is spectacular. He doesn't even supplement the corals, the fuge with the mud takes care of it all.

Good Luck

The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly. Albert Einstein
newfie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newfie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 7:18pm
Nicely said!
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 11:04pm
C. racemosa AKA grape caulerpa, can go dormant or begin to spore and cause trouble. Watch it and harvest it regularly.

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 11:11pm
I read about adding ammonia to a tank on one of those European websites. Seems very drastic. I think a piece of live rock cycles a tank wonderfully....
MissMarilyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissMarilyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 11:49pm
It was lovely to meet you (briefly, sorry about that!) tonight.  Suzy is exactly right...  harvest that grape stuff I gave you often.  I look at it this way... as long as it has plenty of space to grow into it is sucking up extra tank nutrients and growing into that space...  as soon as it has filled the space pull out handfuls and feed them to your tang...  You will end up with a nice fat tang like mine :)

Please let me know if I can do anything else for you!

Marilyn
Currently looking for tank...
scubasteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scubasteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 2:20am
    i will take your clown or any fish i you need to get ride of them just tell me how much an if later you want them back i will sale them back to you for the same just let me know   801-260-1245 ask for nathan im in west jordan

(fish are friends not food)
125g sharktank / reef
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 11:26am
So how do you guys test your new tanks? What do you use to cycle them?

Personally, I add as much sand as I can get from a friend's tank, live rock from the store and fill with water.  There will be plenty of die-off from the live rock alone to cycle the tank.  When the ammonia drops to zero, I start to add livestock.  And I add livestock slowly to allow bacteria colonies to catch up to the increased bioload.

The use of pure unscented ammonia ...

I find it incredulous that you'd suggest to an admitted Novice to add ammonia to their tank.  Using ammonia to cycle or even test for nitrifying bacteria is best left up to the experienced hobbyist, imo.  Even then, I'd suggest an ammonia salt over liquid ammonia.

The biggest draw back to using pure unscented ammonia over typical fish foods, or grocery store bought table shrimp is the method requires a large water change of 90%.

Help me out.  Why does this method require such a large waterchange?

The pure unscented ammonia can reek havoic on the PH of a tank

You're adding enough ammonia to cause a pH increase?  That's a lot.  Another reason to use an ammonia salt.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic