Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NEED HELP!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ReefDragon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEED HELP!!!
    Posted: May 02 2006 at 1:43pm
Ok so my Female clown fish just beat the hell out of the male......... does anyone know why this might happen....... I'm taking out my male and putting him in my friend tank till he heals up.........he has a huge black bruise on his side now and is having a really hard time swimming so now he is sitting in a corner about halfway up the tank.......... if anyone can tell me why she might have attacked him please let me know
Chris Harley
Lindon, UT
29 Gallon Tank Starter
Kevin F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 2:01pm
Competition and aggresive behavior is common with clown fish. 
The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly. Albert Einstein
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2006 at 3:01pm
She probably caught him looking at another female clown fish. 
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2006 at 12:47am
Originally posted by Summertop Summertop wrote:

She probably caught him looking at another female clown fish. 

lol LOLLOLLOL oh that is the greatest thing ever!!!Clap
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2006 at 3:18am
Mating behavior and competition for food are the reasons they were fighting. Feeding will do a lot to calm almost all fish, but in a new tank like yours, overfeeding will cause real problems. It's a balancing act. I would not have removed the male, but not knowing the way your tank is set up...
How is the aquascaping?
Are there plenty of hiding places?
Is there algae that can hide a male clownfish?

Below is the male of a pair that got part of his jaw completely ripped off in fighting. Later his jaw totally grew back Shocked and they were "doin' it" every two weeks. That's him tending to his baby "Nemos" prior to hatching, a few of which I was able to raise. Big smile

My advice, let nature take it's course. If it's meant to be it will happen. But now that you have removed him, that changes things a little. Take her out while you do a major re-aquascaping, add a new piece or two of good LR from a healthy tank, not the LFS, add a clump or two of Macroalgae for additional hiding and for making the tank healthier, then place him in this new environment. Feed then well with good meaty foods like Mysis shrimp and Spirulina enriched Brine Shrimp and use Garlic Oil in their foods. (search for my posts about the proper use of Garlic Oil) In a week, place her back in and watch them get to know each other all over again. HeartAngryHeartAngryHeartHug

P.S. After 5 days of her in the reorganized tank, stop the Garlic Oil. I've found that it creates problems with egg viability.

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 03 2006 at 3:30am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ReefDragon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 3:38pm
I actually came home from work and was about to take him out of the tank and they were getting along just fine........in fact the huge bruise on his side that she gave him the night before had totally gone away.......they were swimming just fine.........so I will do what mark said and let things be........I am getting more LR from a healthy tank tonight so I will be adding it in :D see you all at the meeting lol
Chris Harley
Lindon, UT
29 Gallon Tank Starter
j's55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j's55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 6:08pm
my bet is the "Huge Bruise" was not a bruise. I bet it is just his coloring and from the fighting he shifted to a darker color. If it was a huge black or darker colored spot right in the middle then I'm guessing that is what it is.
Josh Zorn
45G reef
lots of tropical plants
Cell it 910 3924
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic