Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ph, Alk, and Calcium

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ph, Alk, and Calcium
    Posted: October 31 2003 at 4:49pm

I just did my once a week water tests and my alk has dropped to 4, Ph at 7.7 and my Calcium is over 600.  I just added some buffer and mixed up some Mrs. Wages with about 2 tbsp in a gallon of water.

I've never added kalk before so I want to get some opinions before I added it to the system.  I know to drip it slowly over several hours.  How much should I add and should I wait until I get the alk back up to 10 or better?

Jon - I know that this is your expertise, so I'm counting on you chiming in.

Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2003 at 5:46pm
Sean - I use ESV B-Ionic 2 part solution to keep my Alk and Calcium in check. I know lazy, but I got real tired of mixing and dripping kalk. and buffer daily. I'm sure you will find different opinions though.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2003 at 6:42pm

Tell us more about what you've been adding to your tank.  How did the calcium get so high?  At first blush, I'd say you've overdosed calcium some way.  This will drive down the alkalinity.  pH will trend down along with the alkalinity drop.  Where do your nitrates normally run and where are they now?

What I would suggest is to continue to add buffer until your alk gets back where you want it (2.5 - 4.5 meq/l).  Continue to monitor calcium, it will decline with time.  As the calcium declines so will the alk, just add more buffer to maintain alk at the level you want.  When the calcium gets to where you want (370 - 460 ppm), then if you desire, start using kalk.  I probably wouldn't use any kalk right now it could lead to bigger then desired pH swings.  If you do add it, go slow (maybe a pint or so tonight) and see how the tank responds (with calcium that high the kalk might drive alk even lower).  Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of kalkwasser.  I just don't think it should be used to raise alk/ca.  It's a maintance (ie maintaining current levels) product.

Overall, not that big of a deal Sean (so why did I write so much ).

More specific info:  If you use baking soda for alk, you'll need 13 tsp to raise 100 gallons of water from 4 dkH to 11 dkH.  I would not raise my alk by more then 0.5 meq/l per day (1.4 dKH) so do this over 5 days.

SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2003 at 7:12pm

*smile*

I did indeed overdose calcium.  I switched from the 2 part ESV to just dosing Kent Turbo Calcium.  I hadn't been paying attention to the Alk though.  My mistake!

Nitrates are usually 0 and they are still 0.  I'll just wait on adding the kalk then and just add buffer every night until I get to around 13 on my alk. 

Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2003 at 7:14pm

Sounds like a good plan to me...

(been thinking more about a calcium reactor?)

SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2003 at 7:49pm

Yes I have.  I just don't want to dump the money into one right now.  I have the tank and I was going to get one set up, but I decided to wait a bit.  Going to wait at least until my SPS has all grown into colonies.

How long do you think it will take to get my calcium down to about the 450 range?  Right now it's about 620.

Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2003 at 8:34pm
Sean, That's cool that Jon was able to help you pinpoint the problem so quickly.

That darn Kent Turbo Calcium can send calcium through the roof, but from my recollection, if you were to do nothing, Ca and Alk would be back to proper levels within a week or two with no bad effects.

Are there a lot of lumens (800-1000)shining on your RDP(?) Refugia to help counteract the current low pH condition?

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
reefnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2003 at 8:52pm
Sean,

I use Reef Complete by Seachem every morning in order to add calcium and Reef Builder by Seachem every night in order to add Alkalinity. I keep my calcium at about 425 and my Alk. at about 12 dkh. I have slowly been switching my tanks over from softies to stonies and have noticed that I have to dose calcium and alkalinity each day in order to maintain my levels. I have also started to drip Kalk for the last 2-3 months and it is by far the single best thing I have done! The benefits of adding Kalk have been that I do not have to dose as much calcium and alkalinity in order to maintain my levels. The other benefit has been that my PH has gone from 7.9/8.0 to 8.3/8.4! I replace all of my evaporated water each day with kalkwaser. It equals about 2 1/2 gallons (my total water volume is about 150 gallons). This is what I have experienced. Hope this helps!
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2003 at 8:58pm

How long?  It all depends on how fast your tank is consuming calcium (making CaCO3).  Just go slow, as you add the buffer some of the calcium will/might precipitate.  You want to avoid this, imo.  If all that precipicated was CaCO3, then it wouldn't be a concern, but unfortunately strontium, magnesium, and others to a lesser extent, can also precipiate.  Let me revise my advice a little from above.  Don't raise your alk all the way up to 4 meq/l this week, bring it up to say 2.5 meq/l (7 dKH) and hold it there until your calcium drops down into the lower 500s or upper 400s, then move your alk up to 10 - 12 dKH.  Just hold where you are if you notice hazy water.  Did you get hazy water from the turbo calcium additions?

You could always do a water change... but I'd just add a little buffer and wait for my calcium to drop.

Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2003 at 6:50am

Sounds like you have a plan to get things back in line...  I would also check your magnesium levels after you get the alk up.  Especially if you get any precipitates.

I use Turbo Calcium to bump the calcium level and really like it.  Also, Kent superbuffer to bump up alk.  Also drip kalk 24/7.  I have found even with dripping kalk I need to adjust the calcium and alk levels weekly.   

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic