Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How can I clean my sand before i move?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How can I clean my sand before i move?
    Posted: May 06 2006 at 3:34am
I am going to move the reef in the next week or so. how can I get the sand clean enough to keep most of it?
how can I recycle the used stuff for another tank?
I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 9:11am
I would say you could reuse all of the sand. I would do a good gravel vac while you are moving everthing. are you leaving the sand in the tank for the move or taking it out to make the tank lighter? There are lots of good things in your sand bed. I would reuse the old sand for sure unless you had a major flatworm problem.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 9:29am
You can strain the sand through a plastic spagetti strainer to leave the detritus....
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 11:31am
Vacume the sand and make sure you take it out of the tank before you move the tank.  It is way too heavy to leave in while moving the tank.

As Suzy said you really don't want to remove all of the detritus so maybe leave a small portion unvacumed and just move it into a separate bucket from the rest.

At least that's what I usually do.
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 2:07pm
so I want to maybe put it all back in the reef, but I have a serious deep sand bed. So i was thinking that I could just reuse it to seed a different tank.
If I gravel vac it does it pull the sand up? I am used to gravel, but thats heavy...... I have stirred/ rearanged the tank within the last 6 months.... So I hope  that this will help. I have a ton or bristle worms... and a horse shoe crab that also stirrs up a little......
I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic