Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

14 Bangaii babies healthy and eating

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 10:45pm
Mark,
The post mentioned "stripping the nest" and using a tumbler to incubate the eggs (rather than the father). The owners were having a higher success rate doing this than allowing the male to hold them through to release.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 1:50pm
That video was great.  I figured that the babies were born as larvae and then went through the metamorphic phase while still in the father's mouth.  I guess this method would eliminate the possibility of the father accidentally swallowing any of them.  With freshwater angelfish, the parents can accidentally swallow the babies when they get scared.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2006 at 9:05am

I can still see 10 babies. I'm feeding them live GSL BS Nauplii from the live bucket collected last week.Cool

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Philism View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2006 at 9:53am
Great job Mark!  I would love to buy a couple from ya when they are old enough to handle the transition.
Phil
Sandy, Utah
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 5:28pm

It's been three weeks and 11 baby Bangaii survive. They have more than doubled in size. Big smile

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 5:58pm
Mark, put me down for one of them too.  That's awesome that they're doing so well.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2006 at 8:36pm
It's fun to watch them eat. For about two weeks they ate BS Nauplii from GSL BS collecting trips. When those ran out I switched to Rotifers grown in a 3L pop bottle. I pour 1/4 of the bottle 2Xday and refill with phyto after the second feeding. They are large enough to eat CyclopEeze, but prefer the live Rotifers and whatever else they can nab in the 29 gal macroalgae packed/ miscellaneous/ rubble LR tank that I moved them to about 10 days ago. They are about as easy as Guppies.Smile
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2006 at 10:37am
I found this morning that one of the last batch in my tank made it.  He has also at least doubled in size.  It looks like he is living in my frogspawn under the polyps amoung the skeleton arms.

I feed my tank heavily with Golden Pearls.  I've made a mix of about 6 different sizes.  This as well as Freeze dried copepods and decapsulated BS eggs so these guys have plenty to eat if they can make it without being eaten themselves.

I don't have the kind of number Mark has, but for just letting nature take it's course I don't feel I'm doing to bad.

Daddy's got a mouthful of eggs again as well.  Do your's start over right after he releases the eggs Mark?  I thought they needed some time to rest and get a real meal for a while before doing this again.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 12:00am
Depends on the pair.
thathiep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thathiep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 12:16am
Those are cute!  Congrats on your great job.  People need to come check them out.  I was there last week. 
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 11:26am
My 1 little guy is hanging out above my Frogspawn today and I've been able to get a really good look at him.  I have to agree with thatheip.  Baby Bangaii's are extreamly cute.  Marks school of them must be very cute.  Something like cute to the 11th power.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 4:50pm
They are now 4x larger and still cute, but only to the eigth power now. Wish I had a camera so I could share them with y'all.
Philism View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2006 at 10:56pm
Since they are only to the 8th power...are you willing to sell them yet? :)
Phil
Sandy, Utah
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2006 at 11:43am
They are eating frozen food now and a few are getting large enough to make it in a Nano.
Is $10 each too much to ask? 

Also have an adult Bangaii for sale to a good home.
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2006 at 12:01pm
Could I get 2? One for each of my nanos.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
StaceyB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StaceyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2006 at 12:08pm
Mark,

Congrats on the little guys... I really have been wanting one of these for a while.. do you have any left?

Thanks,

Stacey

Fish are friends, not food… lasagna, on the other hand…

90 gallon reef w/lots of pretty stuff!
Philism View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2006 at 9:12am
If you're not sure they'll make it in something bigger than a nano, then I better hold off until they grow some more.
Phil
Sandy, Utah
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 12:33am
Well, it's been about 7 weeks, and they seem to be growing well, but the eight little ones are still only ~1/2 inch long from tip to tip. At night they could slip through overflow teeth quicker than you could say Bangaii yi yiiiiiii............ Shocked LOL

Edited by Mark Peterson - June 27 2006 at 12:38am
Philism View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 8:16am
Yeah, I'll hold off until they are bigger.
Phil
Sandy, Utah
sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2006 at 9:31am
I just saw them on the weekend and they are the most adorable lil' things! You just want to pinch their cheeks! LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic