Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Powder Blue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Powder Blue
    Posted: May 10 2006 at 10:24pm
Well we got ich about 2-3 weeks ago, and last Friday our Powder Blue died.  Everything else looks good.  I know they are very sensitive to Ich, even more than most Tangs, but I would love to try another one in the future if I can see what worked for others in keeping them healthy and happy.  I don't want to get another one and not be able to keep it ich free. 

So please share your experiences good and bad to help me and others who would like have one of these beautiful fish.....
Amber
29 gallon reef
pictures of some of my frags at frags.org
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 10:37pm
My powder blue had ich for about 3 months after being first introduced.  It ate well and remained very active. I tried garlic extract, garlic oil and many other things garlic. None of which were effective. Eventually, it went away and he became the boss of the tank. He died in the great tank crash of 2006.
IME, they are the most aggressive tang and should be added last.
Good luck.
Schondar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schondar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 11:07pm
I just bought a powder blue from bird world a week ago. It was so stunning that I had to have it, SOOOO  Cool.  The fish was fine for a few days, Then the ich. I have reduced the light so the tank is dark to try to relieve some stress on this stunning fish, Have over fed the tank so the other Tangs will be more calm and fed food with garlic oil(health store kind) And it has now been 3 days and the ich is almost gone.I dont know if I just got lucky or what but he now grazes for food on the rocks and has not been hideing as much and is also getting more active. I knew I was taking a chance with this fish so I hope all goes good for the next few weeks. I think if he can make it past this ich he will be a great addition to the tank............PS I asked the clerk to fed him so I could make sure he would eat and the fish looked so healthy too, Not a single mark or blemish that I could see when I was watching him

Scott

Edited by Schondar - May 10 2006 at 11:08pm

125 gallon reef
ASM G1-X
2-250 watt XM 10k's
220 watt vho actinic

Scott Lund---Evanston,Wyoming 1-307-783-5926 cell 1-307-677-0183
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 11:14pm
I hope he does well for you, mine went back and forth from no spots, to covered at night for over two weeks.  The night before he died he ate and was swimming normally even though he had a few more spots, completely caught us off guard when he he was floating the next day.
Amber
29 gallon reef
Schondar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schondar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 11:46pm
Mine was so coverd in spots I thought he would die within the hour.  Now he only has like 10 - 15 on him. I know that we cant see the ones on his gills so I hope he does good too  Thumbs Up

125 gallon reef
ASM G1-X
2-250 watt XM 10k's
220 watt vho actinic

Angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 8:34am
Do you all run UV steralizer?  In my freshwater tank, it was the only thing that really got rid of ich.  I used on on my small SW tank and always liked the results, but now I don't have anything near large enough for the new set-up. 
Connie
Tooele
Schondar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schondar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2006 at 11:22am

No uv here.......

125 gallon reef
ASM G1-X
2-250 watt XM 10k's
220 watt vho actinic

kgwilliams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgwilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 6:10pm
I got ich about 9 months ago and it ended up killing all my fish.  (which wasn't much)  So I started all over, and I bought a uv sterilizer.  I figured it would help since it kills parasites and it is hard to find treatment for some of those things, that don't contain copper.  Since then, I have had to problems with any parasites and my water seems to be a bit clearer.  I would suggest you guys get one, I think you can buy them for about 60-90 bucks.  It's worth it.
75gal reef /sump/ref 150MH 2 96w CF
Perhaps I would be better at basket weaving. . . at least it would be cheaper!
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 9:55pm
When I first got my Powder Blue Tang he got some spots on him, them more and more each day.  I tried Garlic Extreme and it seemed to help, but didn't completely rid him of it.  My other Tangs also had breakouts at the same time.  I then got 4 Cleaner Gobies, very small ones.  They went to town on the Tangs and I believe helped a lot. 

A few months later I added a Regal Blue Tang and they got ick all over again.  Again I used Garlic and the gobies helped too.

At the one year mark of having my Powder Blue the tank got ick really bad.  All my Tangs were covered.  Went back to the standby garlic but didn't help much.  About the same time I won a huge UV sterilizer at one of the meetings in a drawing.  I quickly set it up on my tank and blew the ick out of the water.  It was gone within a few days.

I recently had to use the UV sterilizer on a freshwater tank and it hasn't been on the reef for a while.  While writing this post I saw my Powder Blue scratching on the sand and sure enough he's got a few spots.  (I recently added yet another Tang.)  I guess it's time to set up the old UV again.
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 10:54pm
I know that uv ster. are a debated topic here. My experience is this. Before UV I had ick. After UV There was none. I run UV on all of my tanks 24/7. I recently got a nano UV for my daughters 12g JBJ. I haven't had a ick out brake for months if not over a year. ( I feed garlic extreme every day) So between these two factors I'm pleased
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 10:55pm
Has anyone tried the UV's that go in the sump?  Fish4U just got some new ones in and I'm debating.  Will there be a big difference in the effectiveness of in the sump verses in the plumbing?  I understand that all of the water going into the tank though the plumbing will have to go by the UV if it's plumbed in, but if there isn't too big of difference then I'd rather go with the sump b/c it would be easier and cheaper.
Amber
29 gallon reef
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 10:59pm

All of mine hang on the sump or side of the stand and have a power head that pumps through them. Actually I have the water going through the UV and out through the phosban reactor. Only one power head required that way

Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
dadofrad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadofrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2006 at 11:58am
I have 6 tangs and had a small ick problem when I introduced them all in the new aquarium. I started running ozone through the skimmer and a small in-line uv I haven't had any problems since.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic