FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sumps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sumps
    Posted: October 25 2002 at 10:06pm
    My tank is only 30 gals. and I have been told that a sump would offer greater flexibility and easier maintenence.Can anyone tell me how to install a sump without drilling my acryllic tank?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2002 at 1:11am

Greater Flexibility - maybe

Easier maintenance - No if you are already using a good sand bed

It's great to use a "sump" if you are interested in growing other kinds of organisms. For several years I had a 25 gal. in the window leading to a 20 on the top of a stand leading to a 10 at the bottom which was unlit and grew sponge and tunicates like crazy. The window tank had lots of algae, coral and even acropora mostly lit by direct sunlight. The middle tank was a fish only.

Drilling tanks can be disastrous. A simple overflow can be made from a U-tube, pvc pipe and a Lees specimen box that fish stores use to hold your fish after catching. It is important to look at the way the water acts during and after a power outage. You can totally avoid a flood or risk always having one. It's your choice. I would be glad to share but it's very late and I'm sleepy. Call or write if you want more info from me.

Mark  296-1563  [email protected]

Jared B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2002 at 8:24pm

In my experience, sumps are a great addition to just about any tank setup.  For me, the greatest benefit of a sump is the added overall water volume that it provides.  Greater water volume = greater tank stability.    The sump also provides a place to put your thermometer, protein skimmer, return line from Ca reactor, etc. etc. etc..  In my own personal system, I have a 55 gal. tank and a 35 gal. sump. 

A refugium is a bit different.  It is a place where you can grow "other kinds of organisms" that might not otherwise thrive in the main display tank.  They usually have a lower flow of water through them, and will also have their own light source - often times in reverse cycle of the main to stabilize PH. 

Some people section off portions of their sumps with dividers and create a refugium out of part of their sump (probably for lack of space in the stand). 

HTH.  - Jared

If you want more information on sumps or refugiums, let me know.  I can point you in the right direction - ie., links, and studies done - if you are interested.  It helps if we know what you are trying to achieve with your setup.

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2002 at 7:47pm

Sumps are great.  If your tank is doing good I would keep the tank how it is.  If you do want to setup a sump I would recommend drilling your tank.  I know you wanted advice other than drilling, but in my opinion other options can have problems.  The biggest problem comes with the "hang over the back overflows".  These overflow boxes allow you to move water to a sump by means of siphon.  The two biggest problems are draining too much water from you top tank when the power goes out and spilling water on the floor, and overflowing water in your top tank if the siphon somehow stops.  Although there are techniques to stop both these problems, the often fail.

I used there types of overflow boxes for many years, but always ran across problems.  Sometime my tank would go for two years without a problem, but the day you come home to water on your floor you will be sorry.

This is just my experience.  I know people that have never had a problem.  I lost many nights of sleep hoping that my tank wasn't spilling onto my floor.

Just my $.02.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic