Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lemonpeel Angel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lemonpeel Angel
    Posted: May 22 2006 at 2:37pm
Has anyone kept these?  I know it can be hit and miss with the coral nipping, but I'd love to hear any experiences good and bad to help me decide!  Thanks!
Amber
29 gallon reef
pictures of some of my frags at frags.org
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2006 at 1:29am
Centropyge Flavissimus. A recent article in Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine categorized the Pygmy Angelfishes quite well.

Take ten of the various Pygmy Angels and the Lemon Peel is close to the bottom at #8 with regard to reef compatibility. #9 is the Bi-color (yellow - dark blue) and the Half Black Angelfish or was it also the African Flameback (?) are probably #10. I need to check the article again.Embarrassed For some reason, their diet in the wild, leads them in captivity to enjoy eating coral, clams, Feather Duster Worms, etc.

Now if we were to look at the top end, the Flame and the Coral Beauty Angels vie equally for the #1 and #2 spots. No wonder we see more of them for sale.

Personally, I like my Cherub Angel (Royal Blue with yellow face). It's somewhere in the middle on the topside.Smile

Here's a treat. There is a Tang that looks just like a Lemonpeel Angel. It is called a Pacific Mimic Surgeonfish or Acanthurus pyroferus.
(Shhh. Don't tell anyone, because it's a secret. Wink not really. LOL Some Mimic Tangs were received just today at MSM.)
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
kgwilliams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgwilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 6:03pm

I have kept both the lemonpeel and the coral beauty.  At the time, when I had the lemonpeel, I didn't have much coral at all.  But she nipped at all my live rock, and anything else with algea on it.  So I started feeding her some dried seaweed on a clip and she cut down on the nipping.  She was really pretty and I enjoyed having her, but I lost her to ich.  I wouldn't mind having another, but I have the coral beauty right now, and I've heard you shouldn't mix their genera.  I would definetly suggest getting a coral beauty though, they are also very pretty and the one I have now hardly ever nips at anything but my glass.  They like slimey algae.

If you just want the lemonpeel for the bright yellow color, I would just consider getting some yellow tangs.  That's what I did.
75gal reef /sump/ref 150MH 2 96w CF
Perhaps I would be better at basket weaving. . . at least it would be cheaper!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic