FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Latest setups for reefs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Latest setups for reefs
    Posted: November 09 2003 at 11:31pm

Hi, I've been keeping fish for several years now.  Started a reef tank about 8 years ago.  Used the Jaubert plenum for the whole period.  Tank was incredible for 4 or 5 of those years.  Then I moved, replacing the live sand mixed with geo-marine from Caribsea with the more concentrated aragonite forumula.  Was busy at work for a while, and before I knew it, the 4 year old clam was bleaching and red algae was coming.  Always used a protein skimmer in tandem, but neglected it during the bad year.  Now I'm moving and in the process of setting up the tank yet again. 

Question:  Is it still generally accepted in the latest literature that the plenum system in conjuction with a protein skimmer is the best way to go?  I have not picked up a magazine in several years. If so, is it still the 2 to 5mm size at 4 inches depth? Thanks, help would be appreciated.

Flaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2003 at 7:32am

I'd say the latest trend in reef keeping is the deep sand bed method with a refugium tank (around 4-8 inches of sand in the bed depending on who you ask).  Based on my reading I'd say it's taking over the plenum systems.  Skimmers are still up for debate but I think the majority of people still employ some type of skimming (I personally use a very large/efficient skimmer on my tank).

KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2003 at 8:14am
I would agree that DSB are probably the latest trend but that might be starting to die out as well. Many people have posted their experiences of dsb crashes at around the 4 year mark. Here is a good link that illustrates this. There are many very experienced reef keepers that used to have dsb's and now hate them. DSB link
Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2003 at 9:07am

A deep sand bed and a plenum system are the same thing.  I think these are still the most popular and safest routes.  I also think skimmers are very common and are recommended by most.  If you had a nice tank for that many years, just do what you did before.  Why change styles if it was working for you?

Adam 

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2003 at 12:38pm
I agree with everyone above and add my 2 cents:

For those with Deep DSB's, it appears that detritus may indeed sink down and fill them up. This makes logical sense, doesn't it? I also suspect that these DSB crashes were larger particle substrate which did allow detritus to sink within the substrate!

Personally, I have always kept and suggested "shallow DSB's". The deal depth IMO is an average 1.5 inches Utah Oolitic and .5 inch CaribSea Special Reef grade aragonite. (Shallower in front - deeper in back.) The thing about Oolitic is that it does not allow detritus to sink!

Another thing that keeps the aquarium healthy for longer periods of time is sufficient algal growth either in the refugium, the main tank or both. Algae is a necessary part of a healthy ecosystem.

Most people end up moving a tank within five years which allows a rejuvination of the sand bed. What always happens is when you move an older tank, you go "Man I can't believe how much crud is in this sand", so you rinse it before replacing it in the tank. Personally, I recommend not rinsing at least 10% of it, that way you keep some of the organisms less disturbed.

A shallower DSB, actually any substrate, is easy to clean in the tank. Vacuuming 1/3 of the surface down to 1/2 inch depth once a year is a good schedule.

You can also give away or trade LS to someone starting a new tank whenever you get the opportunity, replacing the amount removed with new, clean substrate!

No matter what kind of filtration, I believe in periodic use of activated carbon.

And lastly, give your tank a
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2003 at 2:43pm

Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

And lastly, give your tank a

What about those people that have the over 72" long tanks?  In fact I could barley get my arms around my thirty if I wanted to....   Do you have any suggestions ?

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2003 at 4:12pm

As Ron Shimek points out over and over.  If you don't have a large population of *pods, worms, etc. constantly moving your sand bed, then it will not be healthy and may crash after a couple of years.  If you have a large population of pods they should consume the detritus before it gets to be a problem.

Edited by Jake Pehrson
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2003 at 4:48pm
Then why did Ron's own tank crash at about the 4 yr mark? I know he said it was because of heavy metals that built up but I believe it was the sandbed sinkhole.
JMO and many others
Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2003 at 5:24pm

KeoDog,

Good question.  I don't believe it was heavy metals or the "sand bed sinkhole".

But what do I know?

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2003 at 6:36am

Thanks everyone.  Went with a 10cm deep plenum as original tank with larger particles below the mid level mesh and 1 to 2mm aragonite above the mesh.  Setup the tank this time for maximum functionality versus maximum asthetic pleasure.  This is where I also went a little wrong last time, trying to please too many aspects at once.  Especially trying to match a hammer coral with the smaller more water moving loving stony corals.  This time, it's hammer coral rules the roost.  Dead center, high on perch, looking down below.  Water circulating below him in a circular pattern.  (the tank is 21x21x21, hence the focus, this hammer has grown in the last eight years from 5 inches across to 13 in diameter.

Thanks,

Phil

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic