Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Update Store list

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Update Store list
    Posted: November 10 2003 at 12:37pm

You might want to consider updating your store list.  The Painted Fish has closed down here in Orem, and in Provo on center street there is now only one pet store, Jay's Jungle.  They do have some nice salt water stuff.  Some really good live rock with a bunch of colorful coraline algae on it.  Just my plugged wooden nickel's worth.

Nate

Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2003 at 1:14pm
The Painted Fish is not closed, or at least wasn't last month when I visited it. It is no longer right on State Street and 400 S.    It is now around 400N. and almost a block east of state street in some warehouse looking building. Although it does not have a very good selection of corals or fish.   In Orem there is Aquatica which is my favorite fish store to go browsing at.
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2003 at 2:39pm

I went by this last week and they were tearing down everything and taking it to one of the guys houses.  Wouldn't even sell me anything.  But they should be more or less gone by now.  It was on 400 N and about 75 E here in orem.

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2003 at 2:49pm

bummer...

It's been a month or so since I've stopped by TPF.  I prefer Aquatica, but it's still nice to have a couple stores local.

kini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2003 at 9:21am
It is a bummer - a couple of years ago the painted fish was an awesome store.  It has been sad to see its decline and now closing.  Brett(owner) told us that he will be working out of his basement and have a web presence and can order things for people. Kull has his cell number and can post it for us hopefully. 
Kull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2003 at 9:27am

I talked with Brett formerly of the painted fish a few weeks ago.

The retail outfit wasn't working out for him.  So he was closing the store.  It sounded like he was going to be running stuff from his home.  I'll see if I can get in touch with him.

He was also talking like he was going to start up a web site, he was going to keep his maintance accounts.

Anyway I do have his cell number, but I don't know if I should post it or not.

leviwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leviwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2003 at 7:46pm
Sounds like a good idea to update the list. I'm up here in Logan and have never seen the store that is suppose to be up here.  The number doesn't work either.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2003 at 9:56pm
Good point leviwin. I originally made up that list about three years ago. It is amazing how often it needs to be updated. The guy with that store was a student and only opened half days on Fridays and Saturdays as I recall. He lasted less than a year. It's very difficult to make a living with a pet store. I strongly recommend supporting the ones we have, so they will stay around for us!
I haven't yet been to the new one, Aquatic Dreams, in Ogden.
Going from Centerville on the North to Orem in the South, my personal favorites are:

Mountain Shadow Marine (MSM)
Bird World
Fish-4-U
Fancy Fins (in Tooele)
From the Sea
Reef Savers (Kahuna)
The Aquarium
Marine World
Pet Planet
Aquatica

There may still be good stores in Vernal and in St. George, but I haven't checked for years.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
kingsspot1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsspot1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2003 at 10:32pm
Does From The Sea sell RO/DI water??
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2003 at 8:25am

I have been to Aquatic Dreams a few times recently. It's a little out of the way,  but it's a pretty nice setup! The guys there are pretty straight forward and forthcoming with their information and suggestions. It would be nice if they had more of a drygoods section, but there is an abundant supply of livestock available generally.

Right now, I think that they have won my business for the future. They treated me right with my 125 that I wanted drilled and couldn't. They made ma a deal on a predrilled with a trade in credit which was pretty cool!   I have been to and "interviewed" every store in the north valley. I must say that they are definately on the top of my list right now. I hope that it doesn't change!

Mark, you'll want to check them out. If you want, call me for directions, they're kinda hard to find.

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
ffc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2003 at 9:17am
From the Sea does not sell RO water.  He has the equipment but doesn't use it, even for his own tanks he uses tap water.
kingsspot1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsspot1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2003 at 2:22pm
Bummer, I was just on my way there!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic