Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestions for a newbie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ljbs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ljbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2003 at 8:24pm
Wow.  I just learned a ton of stuff by reading all your posts.  As I told you there is a great interest in the club for newbies to get help.  The people who has posted are some of the best around.  Next year when they do the reef tour you have to take time to see the tanks.  It was amazing to me.  By then you will have your own up and running and be enjoying the hobby, (disease) too.  Good luck.
Spuma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2003 at 11:00pm

Well...  I'm taking off to Houston this Sunday for Thanksgiving... I'm gonna look around and see if I can pick some of this stuff up cheaper over there.

My plans for the tank... 

First thing I need to do is remove some nasty scratches off the tank.  Any one know of any good scratch kits?  Then I'm looking for some sand and live rock.  I'm not sure about the live rock... those things are ridiculously priced!!  They give a new definition to 'Pet Rock'!  I like the idea about getting some Utah sand, if anyone is going and you don't mind company...  please let me know, I'd love to come.  Anyways...  thanks for all the excellent comments, I'm very glad I stumbled onto this web site....  it has certainly been a gold mine!

Diverdan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diverdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2003 at 11:17am
The live rock does seem outrageously priced. But, once you realize that rock was in the ocean in fiji or there abouts not too long ago you realize that with all the shipping and the changing of hands the price per pound will go up and up. An expensive foreign pet rock!

If you are really patient you can use all dry base rock and add one or two pieces of live rock to seed the rest. It will take a couple of months for the dry rock to become "live" and have corraline growth. A lot of people like to use the GARF grunge to seed the tank with corraline and all the other bacteria and stuff. Checkout www.garf.org lots of info!
I know they have scratch kits at The Aquarium in Sandy, but I have neber used one before. Glass or acrylic?

Rich
75 Gallon Reef
15 Gallon Reef
Spuma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2003 at 3:27pm
Sorry...  I should have mentioned....  it's an acrylic tank.
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2003 at 11:14pm

A friend told me that you could remove scratches just like you would from wood.  Start with 400 or 600 grit sandpaper and work your way up to very high grits.  Then use slurry abrasives like jewelers rouge until the acrylic is clear again.

I never tried this and don't know if it will work.  I thought about trying it on a cheap piece of acrylic from home depot or something before ever trying it on a tank.

My friend also said this process takes a LOT of work and patience.

Again, don't do it on a tank until you've tried it elsewhere with sucess.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2003 at 6:25am
The acrylic [plastic] stores in South Salt Lake have kits to remove scratches. This is, I believe, where some other WMAS members have obtained the materials to remove scratches. Since you live closer to Ogden, I would assume there is a "plastic" supply store there.

It takes a lot of "elbow grease". I believe the kits use rubbing compound of increasingly smaller grit size, rather than sandpaper, to accomplish the task. The best person I can think of to give you advice with this is Jim Perry. He can be reached by going to the Gallery and clicking to his website and email address, or by clicking here (if I did this correctly). www.rockcanyon.com/reef/ I would definitely get his advice before proceeeding. He had to do this on his 650 gal. tank!
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Spuma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2003 at 9:06am

I found a web site that suggested that the Novus product was pretty good at removing scratches...  I purchased the kit of 3 bottles, Novus 1,2 and 3 from the local motorbike store for $20, certainly cheaper than purchasing it on the net, one site wanted $70!  I'll let you know how it went.  Thanks for the advise again.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic