FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

black hard "bubbles"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: black hard "bubbles"
    Posted: November 25 2003 at 12:09pm

My tank is now 3 months old and I am getting these black, hard, snail-like "bubbles" growing on the live rock!  What are they and how do I get rid of them?  Do I want to get rid of them?

thanks 

They seem to be a silver black (not a dark green?) and they are shiny.  thanks

Edited by gary russell
DutchDude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DutchDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2003 at 12:31pm
Those are probably bubble algae. The larger ones you want to dislodge (without breaking them) and remove from your tank. The smaller ones can be eaten by emerald (green) crabs. I think the last recommendation I saw was one of those guys per 25 gallons?
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2003 at 12:32pm
Are they black or dark green?  If black, I can't help.  If green it's probably bubble algea (valonia).  It can grow to plague porportions if left unchecked.  Either pick it off manually or some have luck with emerald crabs eating it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic