Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seahorses

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seahorses
    Posted: August 08 2006 at 1:53pm

I have a question for all of the seahorse keepers, well actually a few questions... lol

I am setting up a nano for seahorses, it's been sitting here for a few months now and I'm waiting until the middle of september to stock it.  I would love some suggestions on what kinds of seahorses you have kept and what you think are the easiest/hardest ect.

Also the tank has quite a few tulip anenomes that are flourishing, could these hurt the seahorse if they were you grip onto something nearby or should I leave them.  I'm not putting in corals, just lots of algea on the live rock so it's nice to have the anenomes for looks but I'd rather get them out then have any potential problems.

Thanks!

Amber
29 gallon reef
pictures of some of my frags at frags.org
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 9:56am
Come on guys, I know there are alot of seahorse keepers, Suzy, Bob.....

Edited by aaaj - August 09 2006 at 9:57am
Amber
29 gallon reef
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 10:01am
I was waiting for Kevin F!

How big is the nano?
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 10:18am
12g, my son wants them so we're getting them for his b-day, I'm not interested in trying to raise the fry (but I know that may change with time)
Amber
29 gallon reef
ltanner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltanner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 10:20am
I'm interested in what's the experts have to say also- I'm keeping my 29 gallon tall that I've been using as a sump in my classroom for the kids to "earn" stuff for, and I'm thinking that it might make a good seahorse tank.  I need to get some info first, though, so I was excited to see this thread!
Laura
Orem
29 gal reef
bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 2:14pm

Here are some links I found informative:

I am interested in keeping seahorses in my 10g nano as well! We should see if we can all go in on a bulk deal! lol
bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2006 at 2:15pm
forgot http://www.seahorse.org
griffith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 9:57am

Hey - a bulk order for Seahorses is a great idea.

I too want to try a Seahorse tank in the near future.

bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 10:13am
Anyone else wanna join in on a seahorse order? When would you all be ready?
ltanner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltanner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2006 at 10:33am
My students have to earn them, so I was planning on getting some from Aquatica, but a group order on CB seahorses would be worth considering.  I'd probably be ready around October 1st-ish...?
Laura
Orem
29 gal reef
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2006 at 8:12am
Amber, I wonder if 12 gallons might be a bit small? There are some juveniles at Marine aquatics right now, but as they grow....it would take awhile though!

Be sure to add a bit of macro to the tank, maybe a non caulerpa species to help keep the water stable. Seahorses have short digestive tracks, so we need to feed them a bit less but more often.

Laura, a 29 gallon sump? Cool! Are you thinking about making it a planted display? Seahorses would be great!

Bbauman, the link to Amanda Vincent is great! She is the instigator (?) of Project Seahorse, a group devoted to protecting seahorses. They were strong in the push to get seahorses on the endangered species protection act, and my heros! The other links are sites that sell seahorses, so we have to take what they say with that in mind? I think the sites they promote are great, but some of the theories are.....different?

Who are you guys thinking of ordering from? I wouldn't mind a few more! But, you will pay a lot more buying them that way. If you have a certain species in mind, there are some available locally.

H reidi> Marine Aquatics
H kellogi> Aquatica
H kuda> Fish 4 You

I'm sure there are more, these are just the ones I've seen around. They are CB...
Bob Kripfgans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Kripfgans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2006 at 9:51am
Amber , I would get rid of the tulip anenomes. I am using a modified meat injector with the end cut at an angle....filled with a strong mixture of pickling lime (kalk) to kill them. Just inject a small amount and presto...there gone. They have taken over two tanks and survived the direct UV exposure with my halide casing burst. I would get rid of them!
 As far as a 12 gal. nano,  on reef central they would say nooooooooo!
I personnely say it's ok...for the smaller species. I would also add some nice algea for filtration and hitching and create a planted tank. I would use some live rock but not alot... this to me would help to increase the  amount of water volume also. The plants will take up the excess nutrients for you. On your nano...I would gut the stock filtration that came with it... bio balls etc. a small sponge at the intake is fine. I would add a small cleanup crew with a few peppermint shrimp.
I am interested in the group order also....       

Edited by Bob Kripfgans - August 12 2006 at 9:55am
WMAS is da place!
Save the Banggai's!
Tooele,Ut.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2006 at 10:09am
Bob, are you looking for something special? Where are you thinking?
ltanner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltanner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2006 at 10:50am
Yep, the tank that I was using for a sump is a 29 gal with dividers siliconed in.  I've scraped off the silicone, and it's about ready to go.  I'm planning on making a planted display tank out of it, and keeping seahorses (haven't decided on which breed is going to work out best).  I have a few questions based on info covered so far:

1. In a tank that size, would it be OK to go with a little more live rock?  I'm not talking about filling it, I'll leave plenty of swimming room, but I want to make a little bit of a rock mountain on one side.

2. As far as classroom placement goes, one of my only options is in front of a Northeast facing window that gets about 1-2 hours of sunlight in the mornings.  I've read alot about people using natural sunlight in a reef, what about a planted/seahorse tank?

3. Would converting a HOB filter to a refugium offer any benefit to a planted tank?  It seems like the tank itself would be a fuge, but I have a big HOB just sitting around, so I'm looking for something to do with it.

Thanks!
Laura
Orem
29 gal reef
bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2006 at 12:43pm
suzy, what is the difference between the types that you listed? I would be very happy getting any kind of seahorse but I would prefer to get something other than black.  
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2006 at 4:43pm
the nano has been set up for awhile, I have live rock and an algea forest growing (Suzy you'd be proud )  As far as filtration that's it along with AC.  Most of the rock is branch rock as well so it looks good.

I was thinking of getting two seahorse of a smaller breed, but I want to make sure I get one that's reasonably easy to care for as well. 
Amber
29 gallon reef
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2006 at 5:34pm
Laura, I don't think you need to worry about swimming room? Seahorses don't move a lot, and when they do, they're pretty slow! I think natural light would be great! Will the kids help you keep it harvested?

I am not sure why you want a refugium if this is your sump? But, you can get some really funky looking organisms for kids to check out under a microscope that way!

BB, they are all similar. The only real difference, IMO, is some breeds have fry that hitch at birth. Most seem black, though. I used to have some H reidi that were yellow and black. They were cool! If you order from Ocean Rider, they say theirs are orange and yellow, but I fell for the marketing ploy and got 2 brown ones! Check out some at our LFS and then see if you want to order on line? I am looking for a special breed so I might want to share S&H, if we go with Draco Marine?

Amber, smaller breed might mean Dwarfs, which can be a PIA! Check out the ones at Marine Aquatics and see if they suit your tastes? They are juveniles, and I think they will stay that small for a while. As long as your biological filtration keeps up, they will be fine? Check your nitrate once in a while?
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2006 at 8:53pm
We went to marine aquatics today, I will probably go with their reidi seahorses if they still have some in a month.  
Amber
29 gallon reef
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2006 at 5:53am
Make sure they are eating before you buy 'em?
griffith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2006 at 8:22am
Can you put other corals in the tank as well for color?
If so, any ideas?
Linn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic