Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

using old fresh water for new salt water

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: using old fresh water for new salt water
    Posted: December 13 2003 at 10:38pm
Carl, I agree that bacteria is also on the bio-balls catching "food" as it goes by. I have never sided against that.
I am sticking to the words from the professor on this one, "The free floating bacteria probably are few in numbers and don't do a significant amount of nitrification or denitrification."
You guys have fun playing tennis.
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2003 at 9:59pm

Aahhhh, the mystery of bacteria. Don't you love it? I am not going to try and be the "expert" on this subject matter, but this tennis match is making me dizzy. I think that the point of "where do bacteria reside" has been overlooked again. I personally work with bacteria that resides in the water column. The bacteria that I work with may or may not be considered as "nitrifying" or "denitrifying". Either way, there is no substrate that our targeted bacteria require. However, something that must be said is that, and it has been touched on, if there is food present there is also bacteria present. I do not care how far down the food is in the substrate, if there is something to eat, there are bugs that will go after it and eat it! Also, bugs can spend their entire existance suspended in a water column. All sorts of bacteria too! I have never met a bug that would immediately sink in slightly moving water.

Additionally, adding water, sand, mud, filter squeezings, etc. to a new tank is a kick start to the bacterial population. It does two things, 1) it adds food for bacteria to consume and 2) there is already bacteria on that food who will also begin reproducing in the new tank. Those younguns will then begin to seek out food of their own if they can't belly up to the buffet. If there is no food present, the strain will begin to die off. And MARCUS, you don't need to see the food in/on the bioballs or whetever for it to be there. Trust me, it's there.

Summary: BUGS ARE EVERYWHERE! In your sand (not just the first 2 inches either), in the water, in the rock, on your fish, in your mouth, on your hands, in the air... I think I need to go shower now. I feel yucky...

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2003 at 6:10pm
I see your point, but like you said, another 4 pages of posts may still not get us to arrive at agreement.
But I love the discussion!

I don't think I want a lot of detritus falling between particles, down to the very bottom of a large particle DSB.
My suggestion to use a little Carib Sea on top of Oolitic came about because I found that in the absence of large particles, all detritus collected on top. it was unsightly and in my case resulted in a constant battle with cyano. But here I must confess, I just remembered something that I never put into the equation. That cyano was growing on only an inch or so of Oolitic! Sorry, I just wasn't thinking about that fact.

This leaves me thinking that if we combine both of our ideas and Jakes, and mix them with Ron Shimek's and so many others, then perhaps a combination could actually be the best for all occasions!

I don't know that for sure, but I do know that I hope that my vehicle runs smoother after lying on my back for almost an hour underneath it battling to replace the O2 Sensor! (actually the sensor was easy, reconnecting the leads was the hard part) That kind of repair probably takes pistonfister all of 3 minutes!
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2003 at 9:57pm

I see it, but Mark doesn't.  Mark, do you know what I see?  I see us actually agreeing on this but you don't know it yet.  So that we don't have to type four more pages of posts, I'll speed up the conversation here, and you tell me where I go wrong...

Adam- So Mark you agree that some bacteria can just live in the water column, like your friend who cultures them said?
Mark- Yes Adam I do
Adam- so would you believe that sometimes the bacteria are outgroing the surface area of a filter pad and are actually growing on the food particles trapped in the pad?
Mark- yes that makes sense, they would grow there because there is food there.
Adam- So wouldn't it be safe to assume that bacteria would grow in the water pockets of the substrate, growing on the food particles there?
Mark- yep that makes sense.
Adam- So isn't it possible that larger substrate size may be better than smaller substrate size because it allows food particles to "fall through" better and end up lower in the substrate where bacteria can more easily grow and remove them?
Mark- Adam are you suggesting that larger substrate may really be better than smaller sizes?
Adam- Well wouldn't you agree that substrate size can be too small, I mean mud is very fine, but it doesn't allow anything to grow or move around in it because it is too small and dense. Therefore it doesn't have nearly the filtration abilities of the other substrates.
Mark- Yes Mud is too fine, but oolitic is perfect sized.  Of course oolitic with a layer of larger particles on top.
---Jake interjects--- Hold on Adam is full of "Crazy Talk" don't listen to Adam tell you about the bacteria in the water around the substrate, all that matters is substrate surface area.
Mark- Well, maybe Adam is right.  Just maybe larger particles allow food and detritis to settle further in the sand bed, and allows more bacteria to quickly consume it. 

Okay now somewhere in this conversation I must have made a mistake.  So tell me where this conversation would have taken a different course from the one I just told.

Thanks

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2003 at 9:14pm
Yes, My understanding is that they definitely are finding their way to the source of dissolving nutrients. This is a silly analogy, but I always sit up to the dinner table.

A good portion of the bacteria "in the water" is probably riding on suspended particulate organic matter.

I also understand that there are many types and strains of bacteria in our tanks as in the wild, each with it's own preferences. Some probably prefer going solo in the water where there is food in the water. Others probably hang around together in colonies in the water and on surfaces.

If this is starting to sound unpleasant, remember that billions of bacteria can live on a pinhead.
Bacteria are part of the cycle of life that supports us with air and food!
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2003 at 7:28am

Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Anywhere that nutrients are, you'll find bacteria. Nutrients are high in organic matter that's caught in filter media.

I agree.  So let me ask you this.  Are there bacteria in the filter media, that are not growing on the surface of the filter media?  Instead they are growing on the organic matter trapped there?  It sounds like that is what you are saying.

Adam

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2003 at 10:48pm
it's my understanding that bacteria reside on the surfaces of the detritus/organic waste that is caught by the filter pad or sponge. Even a supposedly clean pad can quickly form a film of bacteria on every fiber surface. This film is partially dislodged when squeezed or washed off. Bacteria occur by the billions on every small object, even dust in the air, and they can more than double in less than an hour. That's a huge amount of bacteria that can grow in just one day. Anywhere that nutrients are, you'll find bacteria. Nutrients are high in organic matter that's caught in filter media.

Here's something to think about. Here in Utah, if you place a jar of mixed saltwater outdoors for a couple days then bring it in and set it in a sunny window, it will start to grow algae and bacteria that fell into it on airborne mist or particles from the ocean.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2003 at 3:25pm

Originally posted by Marcus Marcus wrote:

As far as squeezing a filter pad into someone else's tank and jump starting their tank, isn't that due to the waste from the pad giving the small amount of bacteria in the new tank sometime to "eat", thus letting it start to multiply?

No I don't believe so.  If we add waste to a new tank it causes problems. But water from a filter or sponge, or sock, or whatever (to me) is a good thing because it introduces all that bacteria.  I don't think we usually need to add food for the bacteria. 
However, you guys could argue against me that the when squeezing the sponge water out, you are actually squeezing out the bacteria that were growing on the surface areas of that sponge.  I think that is what Jake would argue, and that is a very good arguement.  That indeed may be what is happening and most people would agree with Jake on that. 

Adam

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2003 at 3:15pm
Adam,
You said that wet/dry filter are not that affective? I would have to disagree when it comes to nitrifying bacteria. However, I do not feel that it is effective at all with denitrification because it is not an anaerobic area. I have not noticed a lot of waste getting caught in bio-balls. If it were, I think it would be a time bomb unless they were cleaned very frequently. That is the reason why I am not a fan of canister filters (just my opinion). As far as squeezing a filter pad into someone else's tank and jump starting their tank, isn't that due to the waste from the pad giving the small amount of bacteria in the new tank something to "eat", thus letting it start to multiply?

Edited by Marcus
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2003 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

But, to me it only makes sense that the bacteria are on the surface.  How do you explain the effectiveness of a wet/dry where the water velocity is very high and change over of water is great.  The bacteria there have to be on the surface not in the water.

Yeah that is a good question.  I for one am not sure, but want to say that is the reason they are NOT that effective.  Now that is debatable as well, but my understanding is that what wet/drys do well is that they remove the organics (which get caught in the balls) and don't allow them to pass on to the rest of the system.  The actual breakdown process hasn't been proven to me. 
Also, I do agree bacteria are on the surface in all of these examples (wetdry, substrate, sponges, filter floss, ....) I just also believe the bacteria is ALSO high in the dead water spaces that accompany them.  So that is why I believe filter pads were so well, all that surface area, and all those little pockets of bacteria water.
Once again, me feelings why you can squeeze your filter pads into someone elses tank and quickly jump start their tank... all that water that you squeeze out is bacteria water.

I could be wrong, but this view point just makes too much sense to me to ignore it.

Adam

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2003 at 2:16pm

Adam,  I can see how it might be difficult task to determine if the bacteria are are in the intersticial water or on the surface.  How the sampling is done would be the crux of the problem.  I'm open to thoughts different then mine and would probably enjoy reading any recent studies regarding this issue.

But, to me it only makes sense that the bacteria are on the surface.  How do you explain the effectiveness of a wet/dry where the water velocity is very high and change over of water is great.  The bacteria there have to be on the surface not in the water.

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2003 at 1:36pm

Originally posted by Marcus Marcus wrote:

Adam, thanks!! This new information that you are writing about, is it from a new study? Do you think its possible for the rest of us to read it?

Yeah they are new studies, a couple from last year.  I don't think there is any online form of it, but I'll check.  I only know this stuff because one of my colleauges is a researcher who is studying this.  I just check with him when I have questions. 
I'm going to see if I can get an online view, or maybe a pdf file of the articles.  Unfortunately, it isn't overwhelming evidence either way.

Adam

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2003 at 1:31pm
Adam, thanks!! This new information that you are writing about, is it from a new study? Do you think its possible for the rest of us to read it?
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2003 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

Adam,  do you know if that's bacteria ON the substrate or is that from a water sample drawn from within the substrate?

2000 times more is significant, isn't it? 

I missed the post from you Jon, sorry, just seeing it now.  First--- Marcus that was a great email you sent and a great response as well. 
Jon- it use to be assumed that when you took water from the substrate you were removing the bacteria that were growing on the surface of the substrate and that was being pulled from the substrate and sucked up into the pipette. 
Now, however, it appears (but is still shaky) that the bacteria is actually in that high concentration at all times in the water down there in the substrate.  This makes sense to me, so I don't see reason to think otherwise.  Basically, this theory is that the water down there is just really thick with bacteria. 

Adam

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2003 at 1:01pm
Below is the response from an e-mail that I sent to Dr. Michael Pidwirny on Dec. 2nd regarding this topic. I don't know if this answered any more questions or not. However, I did post above that I wrote the professor so I wanted to post his response.

Hi Marcus,

They are both free floating and anchored. The free floating bacteria probably are few in numbers and don't do a significant amount of nitrification or denitrification. Of course, many aquarium filtration systems try to enhance the growth of bacteria on surfaces that are spherical or other shapes that maximize surface area. Names given to this medium for growing bacteria vary with the manufacturer. I remember one type being called "bio-balls". However, to be effective the water of the tank needs to be continually passed over the bacteria colonies. In under-gravel filtration set-ups the bacteria would grow on the gravel above the plastic filter.

Water out of the tap probably has few bacteria in it as a result of chlorination and other processes. So getting water from an establish tank probably quickens the process of building up one's bacteria colonies. It would probably be better to get some gravel or filtration medium from an established tank.

There are products that one can purchase that suggest they can speed up bacteria establishment. I use one called Cycle made by Nutrifin. I have fresh water tanks for my kids with Guppies and Platys. A while ago I had many tanks going with african killifish of various species.

Denitrifying bacteria convert nitrate and nitrite into a gaseous forms of nitrogen - I think mainly N2. This would diffuse into the air outside of the tank.

Cheers ... Michael

On Dec 2, 2003, at 10:21 PM, MARCUS HEYGSTER wrote:

Dear Dr. Pidwirny,
I am a salt water aquarium hobbyist from Salt Lake City, Utah. I was reading your website
http://www.geog.ouc.bc.ca/physgeog/contents/9s.html
and have a question regarding nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria. In salt and fresh water aquariums, fish and other inhabitants produce waste. Does the nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria that help to break down this waste grow on surfaces or is it free-floating?
http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1373&PN=1 &TPN=1
The above link is to the forum that brought up this question. Salt water aquariums require a "cycling" period where the bacteria will grow to a level that is able sustain the bio-load of the inhabitants. During this cycle, the owner has to be very careful of how many inhabitants to add for the fear of overloading the bacteria, thus having a tank full of ammonia. Some hobbyists here have been getting water from an established tank to help with the cycle of their new tanks. I wonder if the water that they are getting even has nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria in it.
I go by the names "crazy-sps" and "Marcus on the forum. Any help that you can give would be appreciated. I assume that you are very busy and understand if you do not have time to answer this. Maybe you could refer me to some suggested reading material or other web links.
Thank you very much!
Marcus Heygster

Edited by Marcus
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2003 at 8:34pm

Adam,  do you know if that's bacteria ON the substrate or is that from a water sample drawn from within the substrate?

2000 times more is significant, isn't it? 

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2003 at 8:28pm

UPDATE,

Here are the bacteria numbers, I was off but look how close I guessed before! 

Bacteria in the Water Column 5x10^5 per mL

Bacteria in Substrate 1x10^9 per gram substrate

Hope this helps, or atleast causes more debating..... just kidding.

Adam
ps- info from Scripps Coral Pathology Department

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2003 at 11:40am
I go away for a few days and look what I come back to
Seriously, I enjoyed reading and updating myself regarding the info and opinions posted. Seems to me that there is a lot of room for progress in the area of bacterial "filtration". Who knows what the future will be?
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2003 at 11:03am
OMG, I think I better back off this topic before I get into another Utah Rock debate. HAHAHA... Where's Mark?
Thanks for the great posts guys!!!

Edited by Marcus
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2003 at 10:03am

These things I agree with:

1. A lot of bacteria is found free floating in the water, but not even close to what is found on the surfaces in your aquarium (glass, substrate, filter pads, etc.)
  2. Nitrification happens in the water column, but to a minor degreee compared to the nitrification happening in the substrate, filters, etc.

Thing I DISagree with:

1. Now the substrate WATER (NOT THE SUBSTRATE ITSELF) contains around 10x more than that.
    • I disagree.  The majority of the bacteria found in the substrate is attached to the substrate not free floating in the water around the substrate.
    • The number of organisms that can be maintained in a marine tank is usually proportional to the amount of surface area on the gravel of the aquarium available for the Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter bacteria to attach to (Marietta College, Water Science and Technology Volume 2002)
  2. The actual bacteria count appears to be the same REGARDLESS of the substrate size. 
    • If bacteria is more numerous on surface areas compared to free floating.  The more surface area provided for the bacteria the more bacteria you will have.  In other words the smaller the substrate grain size, the more surface area, the more bacteria.

My $0.02

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic