Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

using old fresh water for new salt water

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2003 at 1:37pm

Suzy, who knows? It's an opinion and until someone performs a test on aquarium water in a like tank and finds factual bad elements or contaminants, maybe their advice is sound? After all, it is water. Water can be conditioned, highly filtered, etc and would be suitable to drink. Personally, I have consumed water from a stagnant swamp in Africa and survived. Of course, it was through a portable RO filter straw, but I think that you get the idea. I don't think that the "dealer" should be torn apart because we have a difference of opinion.

Just my $2.

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
crazy-sps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy-sps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2003 at 4:33pm
Carl, good call...
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2003 at 4:40pm
   I was just curious...When I made the switch from fresh to salt to
fresh to salt,I thought it was a good reason to clean out the fish poo
from under the under-gravel filter/DSB/river gravel/plenum or
whatever was the fashionable aquarium bottom that year.....

I was just curious if was somebody I know. I didn't mean to tear
him apart.....Sorry
And I never said it was bad advice...........
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2003 at 5:36pm
Welcome.
Congratulations for finding the WMAS website and good for you for asking the question. Here is my opinion of what a person new to the hobby should do. We have had many separate threads lately regarding the same "newbie" question, BTW.

Read, listen and compare several sources of information.
Initially disregard most things written more than 10 years ago regarding "proper" marine aquarium set-ups.

Be cautious regarding everything you read and hear.

Visit all the pages of this site and ask questions along the way, as you are already doing.

Know that there are many ways to do it and most ways will work, even using a freshwater tank without cleaning it.

Besides the pet store or online get some Live Rock and Live Sand from local hobbyists. This ensures that you will have a variety of helpful cleaning organisms that are suited to typical marine aquaria and beneficial to your own little ecosystem.

Know that many coral are easier to care for than fish. My opinion is that someone that doesn't place easy corals in with their fish hasn't noticed how much more beautiful the tank can be . It's sort of like adding drapes to the windows and pictures on the walls of your home.

Start with a few organisms and add more as time and $$ permit.

Be ready to change the tank as you go along and don't be surprised when you learn that something you first thought was "gospel" truth turns out to be just someones opinion, and sometimes kinda wrong!

Email me and ask for the reference materials prepared by the WMAS to help us learn more about how to effectively keep marine/reef aquaria. [email protected]
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2003 at 8:36pm

Suzy, I must have misunderstood your intentions. My apologies. And I didn't mean to imply that you were tearing or would tear them apart. I just thought that if the individual or LFS name were posted that it would give the opportunity for some sort of open targeted bashing. That's all....

Still love me?

Edited by Carl
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2003 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by crazy-sps crazy-sps wrote:

There is lots of bacteria in the water, not just in the sand and rock. 

Adam, do you have a link or something for me read?  I am curious about the bacteria free-floating.  Again, possibly I have learned from the wrong source.

You have definately learned from the wrong source.  But don't worry, it is something that everyone is confused on.  I don't want to sound like I know everything, because this isn't my specialty but I'll try. 

There is a TON of bacteria in the water column.  Around 1x10^6 bacteria per mililiter.  In my mind that is an astounding number.  Now the substrate WATER (NOT THE SUBSTRATE ITSELF) contains around 10x more than that.  Yes, I know that will cause some discussion but water in the substrate may be more important than substrate size. 

However..... I didn't say that this bacteria is the denitrifying bacteria.  Although I am saying it now, there is the bacteria for all stages of nitrification in the water column.  In other words, without live sand, or live rock, you can cycle an aquarium just by using water from other tanks.  My tank contains about 50% water from Steve Lopez, I figured that was good enough to get my tank going. 

So, there is a ton of bacteria in the water (in my mind) but most of the "filtration" bacteria is certainly in the water around the substrate. 

Hope this clarify things, sorry if I didn't explain that well before.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2003 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

[QUOTE=crazy-sps]

So, there is a ton of bacteria in the water (in my mind)

Adam, you might want to see a doctor about that! Water in your brain... not good my friend.

In Syracuse

ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2003 at 9:02pm
Got in on this a little late. I would like to offer my 2 cents. I am farely cheap not by choice. However with how much I spend on livestock water is a very small expense. I have invested in an ro unit and only use ro water. When i first started this hobbie I used regular tap water. I had major algea problems and would never do this again. I dont want to start a debate about ro vs tap because I knw some people on this board use tap water sucessfully. My whole point without rembling on is WHY RISK IT !! Use new water in your salt water tank. There is no reason not to unless you conducting a scientific experiment for some reason.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2003 at 9:13pm
Adam, thank you for your response. How much of that free-floating bacteria is nitrifying and denitrifying? The links that I posted clearly stated that the bacteria we need grows on a surface. I have a hard time thinking that these authors are in left field. My post earlier, that you qouted, asked you for a link or some suggested reading material. Do you know of any?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2003 at 9:20pm
I once heard a respected guest speaker say that the ammonia in fish urine quickly turns to nitrite while still in the water column! Could this be factual?
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2003 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

So, there is a ton of bacteria in the water (in my mind) but most of the "filtration" bacteria is certainly in the water around the substrate.

Adam, you still say the bacteria is in the water around the substrate (I say it's on the substrate... but I may have been sleeping in my biology class).  What is it about the water around the substrate that makes it a home for filtration strains of bacteria?  I agree fully that there are bacteria floating around in the water but even though 10^6 is a big number, it seem logical to assume that that is not enough to provide nitrification in a typical tank.  This is why we have bacterial filters.  All bacterial filters consist of lots and lots of surface area (wet/dry, fluidized bed, ect).  Isn't that surface there for the bacteria to colonize?  Are we back to the dolphin discussion yet?  Will this be covered in class on Thursday?

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2003 at 10:44pm
Lithotrophic bacteria are found in soil. Most common and important types in the aquarium are nitrosomonas and nitrobacter. These are vital in the active removal of ammonia and nitrite. Since they are aerobic, they require an adequate supply of oxygen passing over the colony, they also are supplied with their food source, ammonia and nitrite from the passing water. They require clean hard surfaces where they can anchor themselves and create active populations and colonies.
The above quote is from
http://shell.pubnix.net/~spond/glossary/glossary.html#lithot rophic
The last sentence states my point.

This topic has really bugged me, as many of you can tell. I have searched the internet and I have found many more websites than I have posted. I have yet to find one that has sided against me on this. Sorry to be such a pain in the rear. I just want a solid answer. I even e-mailed a professor from one of the websites.
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2003 at 7:47am

Marcus,

If I may, one of the reasons that bacteria may proliferate in substrate is due to the mass of decomposing waste that will settle out. A bacterial strain wil proliferate based greatly upon conditions. If there is an abundant food supply, the strain may increase more rapidly or rather the die-off will not be as great, therefore the cell count is greater.

Something to recognize, and I think that it is something that has not been nailed to the floor thus far, is that the denitrifying bacteria are not the only strain that you have or want or NEED in your ecosystem. There are many, many other forms of bacteria present all playing a vital role in the success of your ecosystem. To say that lithotrophic bacteria are ONLY found on substrate or attached to a clean, hard surface is a strong generalization. What do they consider a clean, hard surface? Can a grain of sand fit the bill? What about LR?

Recognize as well, that there are suspended organic solids in the water column. Much of these solids will remain in suspension, and if you have organics, you have bacteria. Period. Hence, the amount of bacteria "floating" around in the water column feeding on these organics is astounding.

Recognize as well that you may have a strain that feeds on something else in your system. There are bacteria strains that can consume just about anything including petroleum products. (Yes, Jon... I can put you out of business).

What Adam is saying in his last post is absolutely true, there is a ton of bacteria in the water, denitrifying and otherwise, As an example... does fish urine settle into the substrate? How then is it broken down and ammonia released? That ammonia then, where does it go? It's not a solid, so it won't settle. Just something to make you say, HHhmmmmm

Edited by Carl
In Syracuse

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2003 at 9:01am

Marcus, welcome back,

Okay so my conclusion on this.  First of all Marcus, Jon, and Carl you guys are all great!  Yes Carl even you .  They way I see it you are all making good points.  I'll do my best once again to give input, but this really isn't my field.  Marcus- I don't have a link off the top of my head, but trust me there is a ton of bacteria in the water and it does contain nitrifying bacteria.  I've read this and worked with people who study it.  However, Jon, the majority of the bacteria involved in the nitrifying process are in the substrate area.  Not all of that bacteria is attached to the surface of substrate but it is actually in the water down there in the sand (this is new research as of last year).  Because of this the idea of smaller particle size for the sand is now being disputed, and is the reason I don't support it.  The actual bacteria count appears to be the same REGARDLESS of the substrate size.  Picture this... in you sand you have tons of bacteria growing on the surface area of a piece of sand.  The bacteria grow and reproduce so much, that they can't all fit in on sand.  So they just start "hanging out" in those little teany water pockets.  Now if you stir up your sand you will get an ammonia spike.  Why?  Not because of the bacteria on the substrate, they won't do anything, but because of those little free floating bacteria which are now released into the water.  Many of them will die soon because they can't live in oxygenated water. 

So as Carl said, there are lots of good bacteria.  And there are lots of denitryfing bacteria.  Most of our filtration bacteria is in the sand, no doubt, but it is also everywhere in the tank.

I hope this makes sense.

Adam 

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2003 at 9:25am

Adam, thank you for the the clarification.  This is an interesting topic that I'll have to stew over for a while... you've peaked my interest.

Carl, keep those little bugs away from my oil!   Seriously, you're absolutely right.  There is a strain of bacteria that thrive in diesel fuel!  But ve ave our vays to eliminate sem, don't ve?

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2003 at 10:03am

These things I agree with:

1. A lot of bacteria is found free floating in the water, but not even close to what is found on the surfaces in your aquarium (glass, substrate, filter pads, etc.)
  2. Nitrification happens in the water column, but to a minor degreee compared to the nitrification happening in the substrate, filters, etc.

Thing I DISagree with:

1. Now the substrate WATER (NOT THE SUBSTRATE ITSELF) contains around 10x more than that.
    • I disagree.  The majority of the bacteria found in the substrate is attached to the substrate not free floating in the water around the substrate.
    • The number of organisms that can be maintained in a marine tank is usually proportional to the amount of surface area on the gravel of the aquarium available for the Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter bacteria to attach to (Marietta College, Water Science and Technology Volume 2002)
  2. The actual bacteria count appears to be the same REGARDLESS of the substrate size. 
    • If bacteria is more numerous on surface areas compared to free floating.  The more surface area provided for the bacteria the more bacteria you will have.  In other words the smaller the substrate grain size, the more surface area, the more bacteria.

My $0.02

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2003 at 11:03am
OMG, I think I better back off this topic before I get into another Utah Rock debate. HAHAHA... Where's Mark?
Thanks for the great posts guys!!!

Edited by Marcus
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2003 at 11:40am
I go away for a few days and look what I come back to
Seriously, I enjoyed reading and updating myself regarding the info and opinions posted. Seems to me that there is a lot of room for progress in the area of bacterial "filtration". Who knows what the future will be?
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2003 at 8:28pm

UPDATE,

Here are the bacteria numbers, I was off but look how close I guessed before! 

Bacteria in the Water Column 5x10^5 per mL

Bacteria in Substrate 1x10^9 per gram substrate

Hope this helps, or atleast causes more debating..... just kidding.

Adam
ps- info from Scripps Coral Pathology Department

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2003 at 8:34pm

Adam,  do you know if that's bacteria ON the substrate or is that from a water sample drawn from within the substrate?

2000 times more is significant, isn't it? 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic