Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Live chat?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Live chat?
    Posted: December 02 2003 at 9:00pm

I noticed that there was a thread back in July regarding adding "live chat" to the website. I am posting around tonight and it looks like there are quite a few of us on right now, just seems to me that it would be easier to be chatting real time rather than filling up the board with one liners. And if a system was set up to be able to post back chat sessions, the rest of us who missed out on a pertinent conversation would still be able to see what happened.

Whatcha think

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2003 at 9:47pm
I can't formulate my text fast enough to use chat and I usually preview several times before posting and often edit my posts, so it probably wouldn't work for me.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2003 at 6:17am
Mark quit trying to be so perfect. Mistakes are alowed.
especially in live chat. The only thing I would have against the live chat is I would get on and then start a conversation and then never get off.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2003 at 7:41am
Like pistonfister said, some of are already addicted... Hehe...
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2003 at 9:12am

ssilcox,

Thanks for bringing this up.  This idea was voted down for two reasons.  First that discussions would become very off topic and our chat room wouldn't be very fish/coral related.  The second reason is the real reason it didn't happen.  Many people only access our page in the evening when they get home from work.  They would log on our site and there wouldn't be any posts or anything to read and learn from because the whole days events would have taken place on live chat. If this live chat were still available we didn't think many people would want to go back and re-read the entire day's conversations.  Where as people like getting back on the page to read the new posts regarding calcium reactors or whatever it is they are interested in.

I'm certainly not opposed to it, we just want to do whatever will work best for the club.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2003 at 10:03am

I think that it's a valid point. If realtime discussions are desired, there are any number of means to do so... the telephone, other chat rooms, driving to someone's "Front Porch", meeting at a LFS, whatever.

Personally, I think that it would indeed take away from the novelty of posting something in the morning and reading everyone's comments as they have time to post. Additionally, it's a working archive that people can go back and search. Among all of the jest that I know I try to post, (it's my way of releasing work related stress) one can actually learn! And to be able to slow it down enough to read and reread and research input for a rebuttal.... priceless.

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2003 at 10:30am
If you would like to chat with someone you can always click on their profile button.  If they use any of the popular chat programs thay can be listed there.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2003 at 10:51am
Many great points. I know that if there hadnt been many old threads to read from I would've missed out on a lot.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic