Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

off topic posts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: off topic posts
    Posted: December 02 2003 at 9:11pm
First of all how do people feel about unrelated posts? They usally end up in the buy and sell section. I have had one or two myself. They dont bug me but if this forum was flooded with these posts it would be anoying.
So I am wondering if it would be a good idea to have another topic for unrelated threads? Or is it fine the way it is?
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2003 at 9:19pm
That's a good idea. Reefcentral.com has a forum for just "chit-chat". It seems to get a lot of posts.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2003 at 9:26pm
I second that.  It's not bad now.  I try to read every post, but as the board grows I'm sure there will be threads I won't read.  It might be nice to have a place just to shoot the bull so to speak. 
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2003 at 7:56am
Would that not be the "General Posts - Posts that don't fit in any other catagories" section?

Edited by Carl
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2003 at 9:07am

This is so bizzare!  Jake and I were talking about this very thing the other day.  Some club members have expressed concern for dropping unrelated posts, others seem to find them beneficial.  Jake came up with the idea for an unrelated topic forum but I told him to wait until after the presidency discusses it.  Wow, this is so strange. 

So is another forum topic what everyone would want?

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2003 at 9:27am
I like this idea as well and almost suggested it. How about we name the new catagory "Off Topic"?
Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2003 at 9:34am

How 'bout we call it "The Front Porch".  You know, the kind of conversations you might have with a friend while sitting out on the porch .

I just hope the "The Front Porch" doesn't get too crowded...

Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2003 at 9:57am

Well in that case, we could also call it "The Case" or "The Fifth", because that's what usually gets consumed when these things happen. At least where I am from.

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2003 at 3:51pm
I am thinking that the general posts area is more for posts that dont fit anywere but are still related to the club. I like the name Off Topic
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2003 at 7:02pm
I agree that it should only be for club related topics as well. Reefs.org has a "Sump" section where political, religious, and other Non-Related-often-offensive things come up, and it comes to the point of where do you draw the line on what's acceptable and appropriate and what's not. I like a chat room personally. John and I sent PM's back and forth one night for about an hour and I thought it would be cool if we had a chat room to talk real time.

Nevermind, I just read the post regarding the live chat idea... I think it would be even harder to monitor now that I think about it... The only thing that's hard is that everybody here has a different messenger program, and I don't want to install 5 of them on my PC...

Edited by Ryan Willden
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2003 at 7:11pm
I'm all for the completley off topic somewhere off in left field on the 13th moon of jupiter...   It gives people a place to talk about other things without worrying about whether or not it's got to do with fish.  Or rocks.  Or sand.  Or salt.  Or bacteria in the water column....  etc.
DutchDude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DutchDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2003 at 9:05am
I second Bruce's motion of the "Off Topic" name. I would not want it in the general section.

How hard would it be to implement an "on board instant messenger" Jake?
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2003 at 11:14am
Originally posted by DutchDude DutchDude wrote:

That would be sweet!
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2003 at 2:25pm

Originally posted by DutchDude DutchDude wrote:

Semi hard for me (mostly time consuming), maybe easier for someone else.  I will look and see what options we have.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
kingsspot1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsspot1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2003 at 3:30pm
Jake-
Would a Java based messenger work?

Edited by kingsspot1
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2003 at 4:03pm
Yes, the only problem is integrating it into the message board.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
jbruse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbruse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2003 at 5:11pm
Rather than going to that trouble why don't we all just agree to use a common IM program MSN, YAHOO AIM there are a few. most likely wvery one on this board running windows already has MSN messenger installed on there machines.  That would be easier than the whole Java thing my experience with java IM is that they are flakey at best unless you have a tun of time to set them up.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2003 at 9:35pm
jbruse
I like your idea. It would be alot less work. I vote aol instant messanger.

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2003 at 9:55pm
I've already got MSN messenger and my login is the same as my e-mail address. But can multiple people talk together through MSN Messenger?
kingsspot1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsspot1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2003 at 10:33pm
I vote MSN messenger. Besides, any of the messenger programs that could be added onto the board aren't very user friendly, at all. And not nearly as slick as MSN Messenger.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic