FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cleaning refugium

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cleaning refugium
    Posted: September 05 2006 at 12:41pm
Is this a bad idea?  Mine is looking so bad, I can't even see what's in there.  I had a bag of carbon break a few months ago so I know there's carbon pellets in the sand.  Also, the sand looks like it has alot of detritus on top of it.  I've heard it's a bad idea to vaccuum the sand in a refugium though.  The algae looks dirty - can I take it out and shake it in clean water?  It's not growing very well anyway.  I'm sure it's time to replace the light, so that is the first thing I will do.  My mangroves are too tall - they are up in the lights and their leaves are burning.

Any recommendations/ideas? 
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2006 at 5:25pm
as far as the light lowes has a Craft light mini that is full spectrum 5K compact floresent
sku#4613529576

and sylvania's # cf23el/minitwist/5k/1bl

its a 23 watt /100 watt replacement
Family Portraits /Google trusted Photographer for Google Maps for Businesses
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2006 at 9:23pm

Do it. Take it apart and clean it. Your display tank is old enough to handle itself.

Or, first trim the Mangroves and remove some macro if it's packed in. Do a partial gravel vac if you want. There's no harm in that.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2006 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Do it. Take it apart and clean it. Your display tank is old enough to handle itself.

Or, first trim the Mangroves and remove some macro if it's packed in. Do a partial gravel vac if you want. There's no harm in that.

Great, that's what I wanted to hear.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic