Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brain Storm - 240 Gallon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brain Storm - 240 Gallon
    Posted: September 15 2006 at 10:28am

Okay,

As many of you already know I have a 240 gallon aquarium in my house that has been sitting unsetup (is that a word?) for a LONG time.  I have contemplated how I would setup this tank over the last couple of years (that is right years!).  It seems every time I do a little research or really start to think about what I am going to do I change my whole plan.  I hope to get a final plan ready by the end of this year so that I can start the setup process (I am a patient guy).  I hope that you guys and gals can help me work through the details of a good setup. 

The information below is meant to be dynamic.  Please offer your suggestions, arguments, etc.

Thanks All

--------------------------------

TANK
240 Gallon Acrylic Tank - already own
STAND & HOOD
Custom made cherry wood stand and hood (made by U.S. Aquarium) - already own
FILTRATION
SUMP
150 gallon glass tank (I'll have to verify dimensions and exact gallons) - already own
SKIMMER
?
OZONE UNIT
?
UV STERILIZER
36 Watt Double Helix - already own
CALCIUM REACTOR
?
PUMPS
2 closed loops? - (Possibly DARTS, possible oceanmotion 4 way v2 or v3, super squirt, or other)
1 - submersible return pump from sump (possibly a MAG7 or EHEIM 1262)

LIGHTING
3x250 watt (10K bulbs?, XMs?, m58 ballasts) with 4x140 watt actinic VHO (icecap ballast?) 
or
3x400 watt
or
1x400 watt & 2x250 watt

I'll post more information soon.  Maybe some diagrams or drawings later.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 11:01am
Sounds like you are off to a real great start. Have you decide what you want to keep yet? Have you decided on a location for the tank? Are you going to try to fit sump etcetera in the stand? My preference on my next tank is to have the sump etc. in a room in the basement so I don't have to hear it and so I don't have to get down on my knees to do maintenance. This will also give me a little more room for equipment, make for easier water changes and even a frag tank.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 1:05pm
Go questions.  The sump will be under the stand (I have lots of room underneath), although I would prefer the sump in another room, I don't have a useable room next to where the tank sits.  I was originally going to place the tank in my front room and put the sump in the basement, but I am afraid of the weight on my floor, so the current location is sitting directly on my foundation. 
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

Gahlenfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gahlenfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 1:47pm
Jake,   Do you like what Adam did on his tank in regards to the water flow with the spa jets.  Adam also suggested on his next tank possibly creating flow from one end to the other.  Both of these would support one or two closed loops.
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 5:59pm
For me I would definately have a bigger pump for return from the sump than a Mag 7.  I have a Mag 18 on my 180 gallon tank with a 50 gallon Sump.  With a 240 gallon tank and a 150 gallon sump you might consider a still larger pump for return.  This would lessen the need for closed loops.  Unless there is a reason to want closed loops over sump return This would cut down on the number of pumps needed.

My understanding is the reason for closed loops is to raise water movement.  If the same can be done with return from sump this would eliminate the need for at least one closed loop making it only 1.  Please advise me if there is another reason for additional closed loops as I would be interested in knowing.

As for what to put in it I still like the idea of Adams Morays.  If it were my tank that's what I would do.  (Except that I would be selling it because my wife wouldn't let me set up another tank.)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 6:13pm
Gahlenfr,

I'll have to check out Adam's tank, but I think I like standard bulkhead over the spa jets (I know Tileman has these also).  That way I can use locline to modify flow easier, but again I really am looking for ideas so I plan on visiting both their houses before I make any final decision.

Will,
I really want to make the flow through my sump semi-slow.  I plan on using the closed loops for water flow and the Mag 7 more for just pushing water through the sump.  Also a closed loop allows you to drill holes below the water line without the dangers of siphoning your tank onto the floor in a power outage.  At least those are my initial thoughts.  I also like having two closed loops for redundancy.  I could remove a pump if it ever had problems and my tank could still function.  I have had a pump go bad a couple time and had to "rig" something up until I got it fixed.  I really would like to avoid doing that in the future and make my system as redundant as possible.

Edited by Jake Pehrson - September 15 2006 at 6:15pm
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 6:14pm
Jake- just fill it with water!  /Worry about stuff later, get started.
Adam
(I don't think this part will happen during the next 6 months )
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Jake- just fill it with water!  /Worry about stuff later, get started.
Adam
(I don't think this part will happen during the next 6 months )

That would be too easy.  Why fill your tank today if you can fill it tomorrow?
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 6:19pm
Or in your case next year.
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 10:15pm
Just be sure to make it easy to get at and change plumbing and equipment.  Everything else is just aesthetics.
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 11:04pm

I really like the basement sump idea (so I did it).  I can't complain a bit about it.  It's quiet and very relaxing.  I strengthened my floor to handle the weight of the 120g I have- some people don't think I needed to do that, but I knew I did.

As far as a skimmer goes, just have a powerful enough return pump that the water returning to the sump downstairs can be run through a beckett skimmer- killing two birds with one stone.  Or get a good recirc. needle wheel skimmer, like an ASM or Euroreef.

I think I've said enough about closed loop pumps in other threads.

And last of all, once you set it up, you'll have some kind of "I shoulda done...".  Happens to everyone, but you know, you just have to get in and do it (and make mistakes once in a while) to be able to appreciate such a tank.

zionsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zionsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 8:38pm
Corwando, How did you strengthen your floor?

MISTAKES:
It Could Be That The Purpose Of Your Life Is
Only To Serve As A Warning To Others!

(despair.com)
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2006 at 8:30am
I sistered my 9-1/2" BCI I-joists with 2x10's.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2006 at 2:57pm
I would be interested in placing it in my front room, but I am afraid of doing the floor reinforcement myself and don't want to pay someone to do it.  So I think I am sticking with the sump under my tank.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2006 at 11:57pm
Jake, Since you are sooo close, you need to come by and check out my tank.  You may get a couple of ideas off of my system.  I'm in Hawaii right now, but I'll be home on the 28th.   Aloha!
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2006 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Jake Pehrson Jake Pehrson wrote:

I would be interested in placing it in my front room, but I am afraid of doing the floor reinforcement myself and don't want to pay someone to do it.  So I think I am sticking with the sump under my tank.

Seems to me we ought to be able to come up with enough know-how and willing hands from this board to enable you to have the tank where the family can enjoy it most and have the sump in the basement where it belongs.

Come on people!

amorgenegg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amorgenegg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2006 at 10:35am
Though I am not a framer, contractor, or engineer.  It seems that you should be able to put in a few beams in the basement and only have to cut out a few smaller holes in the basement ceiling to attach those beams to the floor joists to get enough to easily support the added weight of the tank.
Andrew Morgenegg
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2006 at 11:35am
Originally posted by tileman tileman wrote:

Jake, Since you are sooo close, you need to come by and check out my tank.  You may get a couple of ideas off of my system.  I'm in Hawaii right now, but I'll be home on the 28th.   Aloha!

I am planning on it.  I won't be suprised if I change my entire plan after seeing your tank.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2006 at 1:43pm
-Corey (Corwando) came by my house yesterday to check out my floor.  After running some specs through some software we determined that I can put my tank on my upper floor (It is luckly going right above a weight bearing wall).  So my tank is going to go in my front room!

Thanks Corey!

-On the reef tour I saw Mark's raised reef.  I loved it.  I plan on doing at least some (possibly all) of my rock work raised.  I think I will have my rock work a little closer to the sand then Mark (close enough that you may not notice it is rasied).  The good think is I don't plan on having a ray like Mark.

-I did go and see Brad's tank on the tour.  I think my closed loops will we similar to his.  I also really like how his equipment was all gravity fed.

Next step?  Paint the wall where the tank will sit.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2006 at 1:59pm
 Paint the wall where the tank will sit.

And tile the floor under the tank and out a couple feet in all three directions.  You could even edge the tile with an edge piece that is thicker to contain any spills.

How do you plan to support the rock?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic