Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thanks for a good meeting!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Spuma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thanks for a good meeting!
    Posted: December 05 2003 at 9:23am
Just wanted to thank Adam and Jake for the informative meeting.  Although I don't have my tank setup yet or any fish or coral to feed, I did find it interesting!  I did meet some really cool people and don't feel so intimidated about going into saltwater anymore.  I'm looking forward to learning more about this hobby and I think this is the best resource around.  Thanks again guys!
P.C Pond buildr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.C Pond buildr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2003 at 10:24am
I agree, good info guys. I got to meet a couple of you.
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2003 at 11:01am
It was very good. So are you really going to post the powerpoint presentation or just hope no one remembers in a month?
Jared Neilsen
Lehi, Utah
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2003 at 3:22pm

Originally posted by Torghn Torghn wrote:

It was very good. So are you really going to post the powerpoint presentation or just hope no one remembers in a month?

It depends...... on whether or not anyone remembers in a month

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
dianatabor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianatabor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2003 at 6:25pm
I'm so bummed that I couldn't make it to the meeting. I was really looking forward to it.

I'd be very interested in a copy of the slides or some notes.
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2003 at 8:58pm

The meeting was great!!!  I can't wait until my wife is gone one evening and I can STEAL the blender and make some fish food.

Please don't tell her I'm going to do this or she'll want to use it to make some "Glop" to feed her horses.

Also, Thanks to those who got their fingers, hands, arms, and whatever else dirty to show us how to do it.

Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2003 at 9:01pm

One last thing...

If the powerpoint presentation doesn't make it to the web site at least...Please, please, please...post Adam's Fish Food recipe and Jake's Coral Food recipe.

Thanks!!!

Edited by wsinbad1
DutchDude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DutchDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2003 at 9:17pm
There were not enough showers in the world last night. I did not know how much I smelled like fish until I came home last night. I would like to publicly apologize to the people sitting next to me at Dee's last night

And you are welcome Will - it was tons of fun and is highly recommended
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2003 at 10:56am
Well since I only helped Dutchdude bag the food he stinks more than me I went home ill so I wonder if I ingested any of that concoction?

And since I did not get to see any of Jakes presentation, I for one, vote that the powerpoint file be made available if only via email or disk; free to any member that wants it or for a small fee to nonmembers. Just had to get in my plug for membership .
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2003 at 12:48pm
I was unable to attend too.  I would like to see the presentation if/when it's available.
Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
mdawson8931 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdawson8931 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2003 at 2:57pm
I'm just bumping this cause I'd like the recipes too!

Edited by mdawson8931
Mike
Layton, Ut.
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2003 at 3:13pm
Yes, if for whatever reason you don't want the slide show floating around the web, please post the recipes.
Jared Neilsen
Lehi, Utah
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2003 at 3:53pm
Is anyone able to post these??
Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2003 at 11:40am
Can anyone post this? My window of blender steeling opportunity is closing quickly.
Jared Neilsen
Lehi, Utah
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2003 at 12:01pm
I don't know about anyone else, but what I heard Adam saying perhaps between the lines, as he threw in a large piece of some unknown fish, was that the exact formula isn't important. Take a bunch of seafood and greens (& reds), blend it and freeze it!
A friend of mine used to make this stuff with a good portion of Spirulina powder he bought at some animal feed store in Murray. He also put in a carrot, brocolli, etc. Back then we didn't know about Nori so that's a good veggie to add as I believe Adam did.

In short, just go for it. It will be fine. As a newbie, Tom-, in a recent post reminded us, and I'll say it a bit differently, as LeRoy Headle of GARF is fond of saying, there are a thousand ways to make a marine aquarium work, just be sure it stays wet and warm and has no metal. (except titanium, I guess there are exceptions to almost every supposed absolute. )

As always this is my observation and 2 cents worth
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2003 at 12:30pm
30% algae the rest sea meat?
Jared Neilsen
Lehi, Utah
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2003 at 12:41pm

Okay okay okay,

I'll have Jake post the presentation.  Also, maybe we will post the indivual slides of the recipes seperate so you can just print them if you wish.  I do tweak my recipes from time to time.   Also, I recommend slightly different portions depending on what type of fish and corals you have.  So if someone has something odd (like a 75 gal with 15 tangs) then feel free to ask for more input. 

Adam

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2003 at 12:50pm
Did we bug you enough, Adam?

I also agree that portions are totally determined by the type of fish you have. Are they carnivores, herbivores or omnivores?
For some additional help with this issue, see the June 2001 Sea Star Online article.

Note that even carnivores also eat a little algae and vice versa. Also, whatever food you use is to some extent, feeding both fish and inverts, including coral. Do you know what your coral eat and what size?

I'm lazy I guess, because I like the combo food that has something for everyone!

Edited by Mark Peterson
mdawson8931 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdawson8931 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2003 at 1:03pm
WHOOOO HOOOOO! Not to be a nag or anything but when?
Mike
Layton, Ut.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2003 at 1:05pm

Here is another topic for you (I know I shouldn't do this, but oh well).  How large of pieces should your food have?  In other words how well is it blended?

I know someone (Jared) will ask for opinion so I'll cut to the chase and answer it now.  I like having large pieces in my fish food because I like keeping my fish food seperate from my coral food.  Some people like to blend it all really fine and have one "super food" for the tank.  The reason I don't like this (and my opinion may change) is that I like my fish to consume big pieces of food and have little waste.  That is because I like to feed them often. 
Corals prefer smaller foods (in general) but it means you have more of those little pieces blowing around all over the tank.  To me, that is more of a filtration concern than the larger pieces.

Once again I've given you a bunch of useless information.  Isn't it great?

Adam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic