Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

baby maroon clowns

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: baby maroon clowns
    Posted: September 20 2006 at 11:17pm

My husband was down checking out our sump (the things we do) and we have clownfish fry that have hatched and made it down to the sump.  there are probably 20-30 down there, really small but very cool!

Needless to say if anyone has any extra small tanks, and supplies for growing phyto and rotifers we will be needing them in the near future.  I'm going out of town for the weekend, but when I get back we're going to start setting up a baby clownfish tank and will hopefully be seeing some of your setups and getting advice.

Amber
29 gallon reef
pictures of some of my frags at frags.org
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 12:29am
Cool. When did they hatch?  Mark it on the calender and then watch for the next batch of eggs to be laid. Then keep track of when they hatch. This will allow you to predict the exact night to turn off the pumps and prepare to collect larvae

Sorry, but I have to ask, Are you certain what you saw are Clownfish larvae. IME, people sometimes mistake Mysid shrimp for little swimmy fishies. Larvae move in short jerks and Mysid swim smoothly in little circles/figure 8's, often swimming around under rocks, in the corner of the tank, and sometimes a few inches up the side of the tank and back down.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
aaaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 9:05am

I never really looked for eggs, they go right behind the anemone they host in to a rock ledge so it is difficult to see anything.  I guess they could be mysid shrimp, there are alot swiming around the rocks, and then some of them swim around the top of the sump.  I could classify their movement as somewhere inbetween jerky and smooth.  Either way it go my husband to ok another tank and we will keep watching.....

Amber
29 gallon reef
pictures of some of my frags at frags.org
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2006 at 5:10pm
If they are swimming around the top surface of the water, they are probably babies .. right Mark?
bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2006 at 12:12am
Congrats if they're lil' clown babies! If you decide to put them in a good home, I have 2 anemones that need a house keeper!  Post pics of them when you can!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2006 at 10:52pm

Mysid shrimp swim upside down under the surface of slow moving water. The movement of larvae can never be described as smooth. Those are most likely mysid. Sorry. Don't feel bad, they have fooled other hobbyists too.

But getting ready for a hatch is never wasted.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic