Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

xenia shrunk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dmanshep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmanshep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: xenia shrunk
    Posted: November 13 2002 at 11:25pm

Hello,

I have a 7 gallon bow front that I have some coral in... I have been having alot of luck with this xenia except I have a ?...

[URL=http://www.xmission.com/~dmanshep/AQUARIUM/nano.htm]XENIA LINK[/URL]

just tonight the xenia in the picture to the right seems to have shrunk down alot and isn't happy...  my water params are as follows

SG = 1.024
temp = 76.9
Nitrite = 0
Amonia = 0
Nitrate = 4 - 5 ppm
calcium = 480ish
PH = 8.43 - 8.45

plenty of water flow and light 2 13watt smartlights..  can anyone shed some light on possible problems..  oh and all I have fed is some brine about once a week...  not sure what else to feed just a coral tank...  sorry i'm kinda new to coral..

thanks

dan

Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2002 at 6:19am

My personal experience with xenia leads me to believe that xenia thrives with lots of light.  The amount of light you have should work just fine, but sometimes it doesn't hurt to have a little more light.  I have the same tank and I love it.  I put a 32 watt smartlight on it.  I used the hood that came with it, took out the existing light and ballast and in the same light hood cover that came with it, I installed a 32 watt retro kit that I bought for 52 bucks from Petwarehouse.com.  The tank looks sweet now.  I have just a really large carpet anemone and two clowns with some calerpa and a piece of live rock.  The carpet thrives with the added light.  It was half the size before I added the stronger light.

Also make sure that you add Iodine, or at least do water changes pretty frequently.  Doing one or the other should work just fine.  As with the lighting I have also found that Iodine is very critical in having thriving xenia. 

One other thing is that some corals do wierd things sometimes and they usually pull out of it.  The xenia that I keep in my main tank sometimes just shrivels up for an hour or two and then opens right back up.  It almost seems like it is part of some process or maybe something agitated it, I'm not sure, but it always comes back around.

Have fun

Gary

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2002 at 11:53am

I agree with everything Gary (Firefish) said.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2002 at 9:50am
I would say your problem is the pH.  In my experience anything over 8.2-8.3 has adverse effects on Xenia.  Try lowering your pH a little and see if that helps.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
DutchDude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DutchDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2002 at 9:50pm
I agree with Jake - when I lowered my pH mine went nuts.
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2002 at 10:53am
That may very well be the truth because I can't ever keep my ph above 8.2 for some reason, and my xenia does well.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2002 at 5:14pm
I of course am no expert,however,Xenia in my tank(30gal.)is almost overwhelming!I do nothing different than most but ensure my water quality is as perfect and balanced as I can get it.Lighting is always the key in growing anything.You may try placing your Xenia higher in your tank to make the most of the limited amount of light.If you were at the last meeting,you will recall the difference of light penetration at different debths.I do also agree that my Xenia is sensitive to my touch and or anything else that touches it.Mine usually comes back rather quickly but sometimes it takes longer than others.I have also noticed that too much water flow(current)affects it.Food for thought?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic