Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP!!! Is my tank safe to use?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP!!! Is my tank safe to use?
    Posted: October 21 2006 at 10:20am
Quick question, I got my new 29 gal yesterday (new to me, used for gold fish by mommy-in-law), and this morning I noticed something that has me a little concerned.  The plastic frame around the bottom, the thing that the glass sits in, is cracked in 3 or the 4 corners.  Is this going to cause a problem when I start putting rock,sand,water, sea creatures, ect. in it?  Is this fixable, or should I really just get a new tank?

Please respond ASAP, since my wife an I were hoping to get things set up this afternoon...

Thanks for your help!
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2006 at 10:29am
What would be your guess? If the integrity of the glass is still in tack then its fine. If the frame is going to let the glass flex do to it being cracked then its not. Little cracks wouldn't bother me to much. Big ones would.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2006 at 11:28am

Thanks for your responds Dion. 

The cracks are pretty big, as in I don't think they're going to do a whole lot so support the glass.  Is there any way I can fix this? I was thinking about maybe super glueing the cracks togehter and then clamping them in place, good idea or bad idea?
GARFVolunteer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARFVolunteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2006 at 3:23pm
Normally the bottom frame just holds the tank off the stand.  However, I would use a knife/razor to cut the silicone and remove the bottom frame.  Then inspect the glass to make sure it is still OK.  The frame can easily be reinstalled with new silicone.

Thanks,

Scott
President Idaho Marine Aquarium Society
A fair and biased reef hobbyist
"How do you make poor people rich by making rich people poor" Rush Limbaugh on Obama taxes
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2006 at 6:13pm
Good idea Scott.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2006 at 6:10pm
Did it have water before, with cracked frame?
I wouldn't worry at all about the cracked frame (and superglue is not a good idea.) I have a tank like that and it works fine.

What I'd look at is the inside seams to see how well the silicone is sticking to the glass. Cracked glass on the corners/bottom edges can be seen from the inside. It's a royal pain to remove the frame as Scott suggested. Besides, it's the silicone that holds it all together. The frame holds the glass off the stand so it can 1) bow unobstructed in the middle, 2) prevent damage to the bottom edges during moves and 2) provides a nice "framed" look.

I'd be happy to check the seams for you and tell you if it needs repair.Smile

BTW, hurrying to set up your first reef aquarium is not a good thing. Three of the best rules of this hobby are:

1. take it slow
2. be patient
3. give it time to grow

Edited by Mark Peterson - October 22 2006 at 6:16pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2006 at 7:42pm
I checked the glass and the silicone out like you said Mark and it looks good.  I'm thinking of filling it with water and letting it sit for a few days just to make sure there are no leaks before I set it up (it did hold fish at one time, but it has been a few years).  Also, thanks of the advice on getting things set up yesterday, and the 3 at the bottom of your comments.  It looks like I'm going to have to paint my stand (assuming I get it this week) and do a few other things before I'm going to be ready to set the tank up.  I'll give you a call before I ad anything if thats okay.

Thanks again,

Tim
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic