Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flatworms?? ID Please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flatworms?? ID Please
    Posted: December 11 2003 at 6:10pm

I just realized that some red spots I had were moving.  These are what I found them to be.  Is this a flatworm?  Please say no.

Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2003 at 6:19pm

I say yes, they look like flatworms to me.  sorry...

Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2003 at 6:56pm
Thats a million dollar answer...
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2003 at 7:00pm

I was about 99% sure, just wanted verification as I've never had to experience them before.

I know that some members have had experiences with them before.  I want to avoid chemicals if possible.  Whatcha all advise?

Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2003 at 7:14pm
I had a red coris and a mandrin goby that seemed to take care of my problem.  I am not sure which one was taking care of the problem as I never saw either of them directly eating them.  Also I never really had much of a problem as the fish were in the tank when I knowingly introduced the flatworms about 3 years ago.  However, I did not know exactly what they were and such.  Chalk one up to stupidity and fate all at the same time.
seti007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seti007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2003 at 7:22pm
Low light + strong current will definately slow down their spread. It is unfortunately almost impossible to get rid of these without chemicals.
They thrive and soon spread to plague concentrations under metal halides while their #s stay small under other less intense light.
Natural remedies like six line wrasse, yellow tail damsels are hit and miss. Ive tried them and never had any luck.However, there is a nudi that specializes in eating these plague flatworms. Here is a very informative article
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/may2002/short.htm
hope this helps.
Asad
seti007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seti007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2003 at 7:28pm
I think all the flatworm infected reefers should put in an order of these nudis and eradicates this menace forever. If anyone in town sells them let me know.
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2003 at 7:48pm
Thanks for the info Asad.  I'll be a huntin' for some.
Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
seti007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seti007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2003 at 7:53pm
Marine depot has them.
http://www.marinedepotlive.com/404634.html
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2003 at 10:23pm
If my experince with them will help, here is what I would try ASAP.
Assuming that planeria are not already covering every square mm of rock surface the reduction of lighting (MH off) accompanied by the introduction of hungry mandarin goby and yellow tailed damsel worked for me. You have a low fish load anyway so not feeding the mandarin and damsel may just do the trick. That kind of damsel is not so pugnacious and doesn't get so large as the others that people have been trying to catch!

I didn't try the nudibranch so that may work for you.

They are photosynthetic so light just helps them proliferate.

BTW - that's one of the best pics of them I've ever seen!
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2003 at 8:01am

I have some questions...  Mark remember I was trying to tell you about some clear 'slugs' that I have in my tank?  They look like that, only they are clear, and I only see them at night, or when I first turn on my lights....  they hide during the day.  Are they flat worms?  I will bring one in Jan with me, and why are they bad? 

I always see mine on the glass.  Haven't seen them on anything else, or maybe just haven't noticed them.

Nate

SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2003 at 8:40am

I don't think that they are necessarily bad.  It's just that they multiply like crazy and will eventually cover everything in the tank.

Thanks for the advice all.

Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2003 at 8:57pm
If they have that shape then they are most likely planeria/flatworms. The planeria is a protozoa. It's my understanding that protozoa eat bacteria. Some protozoa, like those red/brown ones are either photosynthetic with zooxanthellae or phototropic, meaning they like the light. I haven't read up enough on these to know.

The flatworms you describe may never become a problem.
Every tank has protozoa that may overpopulate and cause problems. Generally we are sublimely unaware of the ying and yang going on at the microscopic level; the eat and be eaten of nature.

I believe that sometimes "crashes" occur becuase of the coincidental convergence of several variables, sometimes including the demise of various forms of microscopic life that had been helping keep the tank in balance.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic