FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice please...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice please...
    Posted: October 27 2006 at 8:14pm
After a long break, I'm getting back into the salt water fish tank world and would love your opinion about what the best, low maintenance, equipment to buy is for a tank between 55 and 75 gallons. I used to have a fluidized filter and protein skimmer, but am interested in what equipment is the best in the "new millennium".

Not super savvy - wanting ease of use and a happy environment for my fish.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Michaelb
ekim

Edited by ekim - October 27 2006 at 8:48pm
Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2006 at 12:02am
For less maintanence I would suggest a natural filtration system, one that takes care of itself. What I recommend is a sump that houses macroalgae and possibly a skimmer. Both will help remove excess nutrients which is the #1 cause for algae outbreaks and other bad things. Here is what you need for a natural biological filtration system

- Live Rock or Utah Rock (both are good and both can be obtained from this forum)
 - Sand of some sort. You can get a cup of live sand from someones tank to help just start your tanks "cycling" process or the stuff living in the rocks will move into the sand... either way, live sand
 - Refugium with macroalgae to help absorb excess nutrients

I'm sure that others can help me fill in my list.
 - 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2006 at 11:34am
Lyscer -

Thanks for the help. I'm going to The Aquarium today to look around a bit.

Much appreciated!

Mb
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic