Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10 Gallon Nano

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Bob Kripfgans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Kripfgans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 6:39pm
Hey Jon nice work as usual!

I may do a 30 high like that for some seahorses....Wink
Add a few plants growing up the back rock and sand as a background. Maybe some a sparse sea grass bed....now you got me thinking.

I love the DIY canopy....great work.  
WMAS is da place!
Save the Banggai's!
Tooele,Ut.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by chris.rogers chris.rogers wrote:

Really, Adam?  73F over 83F?
Room for error!  At 83 your tank can run well and actually do fabulous.  But it doesn't take much to kill off animals at that temperature.  They are running on full power.  Fish get stressed easy, parasites fight fast, oxygen levels are lower (even though Jon doesn't think so).  You just don't have much leeway.  Some corals are really hurting at 83. 
Obviously I'd stick to 74-78 if I could, but sometimes 83 is just what happens here in the summer. 
Trying to think of a good analagy..... it's like driving your car to work at 120 mph.  It is a great idea.  You can get their in half the time.  But if someone changes lanes in front or if the road is icy or whatever, going 40 mph will surely be a better way to go.
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2006 at 10:36pm
No worries from the bulbs melting/twisting/contorting the acrylic?

No I'm not, should I be?

BTW Adam, I'm not sure I've said that warmer water will have higher O2 levels.  O2 saturation goes up as temperature goes down.  I might have said that I don't think it really matters because the difference in saturation is only about 0.5 ppm between 70 and 80 F.  Not sure that 0.5 ppm is significant.  Do you think it is?  Oh and I personally get nervous when my tank hits 83F.

Well, I had to buy a heater.  The last couple mornings the tank has been at 68F in the morning.  The lights do heat it up to 77F by the time I go home (the tank's at work).  Hopefully the heater will keep the low at 75F.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 8:44am
I'm not sure I've said that warmer water will have higher O2 levels
No, you never said that.  Sorry, I mis-spoke there.  What I meant is that Jon says the difference doesn't matter.
Not sure that 0.5 ppm is significant.  Do you think it is? 
Jon, we had this conversation about 2 years ago. LOL I do think it matters, but you argued it didn't.  So I still think it matters, but now I'm not as convinced. Embarrassed
Oh and I personally get nervous when my tank hits 83F
My tank runs at 83 EVERY day!  I wish it didn't.  I may be installing more fans, or getting a chiller soon.  The evaporation is driving my wife nuts (talk about moisture in the house).  I too worry with temps at 83.  For me 74-78 is best.
The last couple mornings the tank has been at 68F in the morning.  The lights do heat it up to 77F by the time I go home (the tank's at work). 
To be honest the 68 doesn't worry me.  My previous frag system (you saw it at my old place) was always at 65.  But that drastic of a change up and down every day would worry me.  I think the heater is a good idea.
Adam

Edited by Adam Blundell - December 01 2006 at 8:49am
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 11:35am
Wow, you must have a memory like an elephant!  But I'm a little worried, it's been two years and I haven't really modified my view on this topic... it's obvious I've haven't thought about this enough LOL
chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 12:12pm
Quote Trying to think of a good analagy..... it's like driving your car to work at 120 mph.  It is a great idea.  You can get their in half the time.  But if someone changes lanes in front or if the road is icy or whatever, going 40 mph will surely be a better way to go.

LOL

Quote No worries from the bulbs melting/twisting/contorting the acrylic?

No I'm not, should I be?

I have no idea.  That's why I asked.  Wink

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 1:01pm
I have no idea.  That's why I asked. 

Yeah, me too.  LOL

What I did do was used acrylic stand-offs between the canopy and the reflector so radiant heat would only heat the reflector and not the canopy.  The top of the canopy is warm, but far from hot, so I think it'll be ok.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 1:35pm
At least you'll have a place to warm your hands during the winter...
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 2:53pm
Fin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 3:44pm
That's kinda cool.

I'm thinking you could cover the branching rock on the wall on the right with neon green star polyp.  That would look very cool.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 3:45pm
Oh, and where does one get a workhorse ballast?
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 4:00pm
I bought my Fulham ballasts from Commercial Lighting Supply here in SLC.
Gahlenfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gahlenfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 4:33pm
Jon,  You need to fabricate a cover for the pump and it would blend right in.  Awesome job.  Thanks for sharing your projects with us.
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 4:50pm
nice work on the bending of the reflective metal for the lights.Thumbs%20Up
Family Portraits /Google trusted Photographer for Google Maps for Businesses
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 5:38pm

You need to fabricate a cover for the pump and it would blend right in.

I was planning to, but got impatient.

Brian, we have a sheet metal brake out at work... it made the job pretty easy.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2006 at 9:34pm
Wow. That's awesome.Thumbs%20Up
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2006 at 11:16am
*Crawling on ground like a thirsty man who's been through the desert...*

Updates...  I need updates...
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2006 at 2:10pm

My office mates really like the idea of a tank, but they've been chomping at the bit for fish (the first day I had it set up my buddy here went to BW asking for a piranha for the tank, to surprise me... He was upset they didn't have any and even more upset when I told him piranha were not saltwater fish LOL).  

Last week I added the "canary in the mineshaft" zoanthids:

They were doing fine on Monday and the tank tested zero on ammonia, the diatom bloom was about over.  I added a couple snails and told my impatient officemate he could get a clown fish for it.  He came back with a Firefish LOL.

That was yesterday.
This morning I come in to find no fish in my tank.  No body in the tank or on the ground.  He just plan disappeared.  He either jumped between when I went home and the janitors showed up and they just vacuumed him up or I have the same cleaning crew as Kull and they stole him Shocked.

Anyone know where I can find an Allen's Damsel?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2006 at 3:48pm
I hate to suggest this to the experienced reefer, but are you sure he's not just hiding?  I thought my damsel had killed my firefish because I didn't see the poor guy for a week-- even during feeding.  Then one day I saw him swimming happily.
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2006 at 3:58pm
No, I took the opportunity today to completely rearrange my rockwork so all three rocks(LOL) in the tank were lifted and moved around... he's not in the tank.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic