Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gobey

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gobey
    Posted: December 14 2002 at 9:19am
I just purchased a phycodelic gobey for my 35 gallon hex tank. I was told that they eat the small bug looking things that grow on the live rock. I was also told that they will eat brine shrimp.  Are there any other foods I can feed this guy? Also do they typically eat at night?
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2002 at 12:57pm

I have a mandrin goby for about 3 1/2 years, and their needs are basically the same.  I never feed mine directly, and have never seen it eat any frozen/prepared foods that I feed my fish, this includes frozen brine shrimp.  The only things that I have seen mine eat are the small pods/bugs that are all over my live rock and sand (amphipods, copopods, mysis shrimp).  As a side note, most people have a difficult time keeping them alive as their needs are very unique.  What usually leads to their demise is that there is a lack of food.  The lack of food can be because of a few factors. 1) Lack of an established pod population. 2) lack of places for the pods to survive (insuffient amount of live rock, live sand, and or macro algae). 3) Competition for pods by wrasses and other fish that regularly feed on pods may make it difficult to keep a sustainable pod population. 

But I would just see what happens with a wide range of foods, as in rare instances they will take to some of the prepared foods; however, it is more of an exception than anything. 

----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2002 at 9:50am

I completely agree with WhiteReef.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2002 at 5:32pm
Also I'd like to add that they sleep at night just like most other fish.
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2002 at 9:31pm
Well I have witnessed my Gobey eating frozen brine shrimp . In fact every time I put brine shrimp in the tank he is all over it. I have checked with a few other people and they say this is very rare but every once in a while you get one that will eat brine shrimp. Thanks for your input everyone. I think this gobey os going to be happy in his new home.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic